Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,839 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,934 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Hi Andyjh, easy my friend, easy. We don't get paid from VSL, so there's no need for this highly ironical comparisons. Let's have a nice conversation, please. Or maybe you already get paid and that's why you write so passionate posts!

• last edited
    last edited
    Sorry, my last post wasn't ended. Just pressed the wrong button! Anyway, let me clarify you some things about your last post:

@Another User said:

ou should easily be able to run the entire Dimension Brass on an 8 core/20Gb computer.

I cannot see why you need to spread Dimension Brass on two computers, if you have a powerful enough single computer.

Tell me one thing. When you compose music, do you always use the same instruments? I don't. Imagine if all my orchestral compositions were made solely by brass instruments 😊. I tell you this because, as you can imagine, in may main computer, the Mac Pro, I not only use the Dimension Brass library. I also use a big strings library, synths, drum machines, drum samplers, etc, like probably everyone in this forum, but you, who seem to use always the same instrument. You probably could say that I can use VE Pro to use other instruments that don't need the dongle in my slave and less powerful computer, and use Brass in the main one. And you would be right, but this is not the point of this conversation. What I want to tell is that we, as VSL users, are tied to some restrictions that could be easily solved, like other libraries do (see previous posts for examples). Massmover, in a previous post gave a good idea to solve this little problem, and it shows you how easy it could be to find a better way of protecting against piracy. Unless you like to pay, and spend money on dongles and licenses which I don't. Hope I've clarified you a little bit my position. Best regards! ;)

•  The comparison I really wanted to use was Window OS, I have two PC,s and I have had to buy Windows twice, one for each machine, Microsoft do not give two licenses, I didn't use this comparison as you are a Mac user therefore it didn't seem relevant.

I run my least powerful PC as the master, and the most powerful machine as the slave, I have had some very large orchestrations (70 tracks) running at once in real time on the slave PC, I do run some libaries on the master PC, so there is definately a case for running different libraries on master and slave, but I cannot see why you would want to split up a single library (like Dimension Brass).

My VSL collection is divided into over 30 VSL licenses, I have them on one key, but they could be scattered wherever needed, to spread the load, but needing to split up one library is never an issue, and I am sure you could not list a set of libraries that you are running in a song, where having to split up a single library was necessary.

When you do need multiple licenses, like with Vienna Suite (as master and slave need it), then VSL do give you 3 licenses, and when it serves no purpose, you just get the one. 

In view of the cost of a MAC Pro and the VSL libraries, is the cost of another dongle really an issue? Or where you hoping for an extra free license and another free dongle?

Still it could be worse, it could be on an iLok, and they are twice the price of an eLicenser key !

• last edited
    last edited
    Well, this thread is getting much longer than I had expected.

@Another User said:

In view of the cost of a MAC Pro and the VSL libraries, is the cost of another dongle really an issue? Or where you hoping for an extra free license and another free dongle?
    This is senseless, and a bit offensive. Firstly, it isn't your business, and is not the focus of this forum, how I spend my money. Secondly, I'm not hoping for an extra-nothing because I don't have the need to "beg" for anything, as you may want to insinuate. I'm just exposing what I think is fair. Don't misinterpret what I wrote just to have something offensive to say, only because you cannot think about anything better to write. You know what? Thanks to what you wrote in your last post and what people wrote before, I was figuring out a way of configuring my system so I don't have to split the library, even though I keep on thinking that two licenses is a good idea. This is the great thing about forums, you learn from other people. And then comes someone like you and make this unfortunate comment, making such a great thing like this a little less better. Anyway, these are your thoughts and deserve respect. Up to you. Best regards!

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

You'll find that most, if not all, sample based products only allow for use on one computer at a time.

Not even close.  Most if not all libraries that run on Kontakt, the spectrasonic stuff.  Seems like most libraries that are web authorization instead of dongle allow at least two installs.  And even EW's new Hollywood Strings (iLok) allows two installs since the library is so big and demanding.

Actually often it's not quite as simple as that. Many of these libraries (including Kontakt itself) allow two installs, but you are only allowed to use one at a time. Bigger, more demanding libraries offer more installs (as you say) but VSL does the same. It's just  that the libraries are actually split into 2 licences, which I'm sure makes dongle abuse less likely.[;)]

I can't remember what the Spectrasonics EULA says.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Samadhi said:

Well, this thread is getting much longer than I had expected.

Forums are all about debate, sometimes it gets a bit heated, but that is the threads that are more interesting and get everyone watching, if anyone posts anything slightly controversial it will get debated, the forum would be a bit dull if no one responded to a comment.

It's rarely personal, it's just banter, but I have realised over the years, that forums are international and English is not always everyones first language, so some subtle tongue in check comments can be interpretted wrong.

Everyones on here to help each other, we always get there in the end.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

It's rarely personal, it's just banter, but I have realised over the years, that forums are international and English is not always everyones first language, so some subtle tongue in check comments can be interpretted wrong.
    If it was just banter, then my excuses for misinterpreting what you were trying to transmit. But understand that it is very difficult to get the meaning of your words when you just put the words and there are no smileys or anything than can make others know that you are just being ironic, but in a good and friendly way. I think it is not only a question of language problems, because the sentence "In view of the cost of a MAC Pro and the VSL libraries, is the cost of another dongle really an issue? Or where you hoping for an extra free license and another free dongle?" Leaves little or no room for a wrong interpretation. In a previous post you said that asking for a second license is like asking for a second Windows liccense to Microsoft. And I think this line of argument is much more serious and logical in order to defend your idea than saying that I only want to get things for free. But let's forget about all of this, because I'm sure we all prefer not to spend our time in stupid arguments, and dedicate it to more interesting things. Best regards!;)

• Been away from this thread for awhile...

Samadhi, I strongly suspect the "famous library" DG was referencing is a recent strings library from a "directional" company.  For me that library is one I would never purchase (laying aside the fact that I prefer VSL sounds for my purposes anyway), as my recent computer could barely even begin to run that library.  For me, there is no point to buy a library at this time that I could not run without major additional computer expenses.

For those running large templates using VSL full libraries on one computer, 24 gigs is very common, while 48 gigs is not unknown.  For the SE libraries and a just a couple full libraries, 12 gigs can work, for SE alone 8 gigs.

As a PC person, I honestly have no idea to what extent you can upgrade your Mac or not.  At the very least since you have 20 gigs of ram, I would guess you could at least get to 24, and that might help.  As for VSL's corporate policies, as it is their company, and their financial investment, they have every right to do what they believe to be in their best interest.  As customers, we can either accept that, or not. 

Would I selfishly (note: selfishly) wish things were a bit different?  Sure.  But as a customer what do I actually receive?  For starters, I receive what I think is the best software platform.  Given my interest in classical orchestral sound, I also receive the best sound samples for my purposes.  Do I wish I could afford more of them?  Yes.  But, I can be grateful for what I do have, and what it is possible to do with what I do have.

IMO, there are, at present, two main ways to work with VSL (this may change with MIR Pro): 1) using one very powerful machine using MIR; 2) spreading different libraries over multiple machines using VE Pro/Vienna Suite.

IMO, might you be running so many libraries now that you need to have two machines to run all you different libraries?  Very possibly.  It is not unknown for high-end composers to still need several different computers to be able to use all their libraries (obviously including others than just VSL).  Even with the "multiple install" libraries (like that "directional" one), the user still has to purchase multiple dongles.  That is simply reality.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Actually often it's not quite as simple as that. Many of these libraries (including Kontakt itself) allow two installs, but you are only allowed to use one at a time. Bigger, more demanding libraries offer more installs (as you say) but VSL does the same. It's just  that the libraries are actually split into 2 licences, which I'm sure makes dongle abuse less likely.

I can't remember what the Spectrasonics EULA says.

None of my third party Kontakt libraries are limited to one machine, they either don't say or they specifically say that up to two or three machines and simultaneous use is fine.  Spectrasonics says any number of machines at once as long as it's only one user.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

As for VSL's corporate policies, as it is their company, and their financial investment, they have every right to do what they believe to be in their best interest.  As customers, we can either accept that, or not. 

Would I selfishly (note: selfishly) wish things were a bit different?  Sure.  But as a customer what do I actually receive?  For starters, I receive what I think is the best software platform.  Given my interest in classical orchestral sound, I also receive the best sound samples for my purposes.  Do I wish I could afford more of them?  Yes.  But, I can be grateful for what I do have, and what it is possible to do with what I do have.

I agree with you in that we get great instruments. And paying for them is not only the logical and legal way of getting an instrument but also, under my point of view, is a way of recognizing VSL and other companies their effort in making so smart and useful tools as VI Pro (the more I use it, the more I'm amazed about its flexibility and usability) or VE Pro, to name just two. But, on the other hand, I think that, as customers, we MUST tell the company what we think can be better done or what we find inconvenient. It's not just a matter of "you take it or you leave it" because, as they take into account what improvements we say they can do about the software, they should take into account what we say about other aspects of the product. That's what make good companies better. I'm not saying that they have to do what I say, because maybe in this particular case I'm wrong, But I must say it, just in case it helps. Cheers!

• And noldar12, I think I know which library DG is talking about. :)