Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,509 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,830 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 24 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Mac mini?

Hello,  Well my Gigastudios are finally dropping out so I need to move all my sample library into my Mac format.  I am running a 2 x 3.2GHz Quad-core Mac Pro with 16Gb of memory.  I also am running aG5 as a slave (with MusicLab's MidiOverLan).  Would a Mac Mini be a good choice to use?  I would assume I would get an external firewire 800 drive and then I would need a way to get sound out, unless you think I could use VE Pro and an ethernet cable.  I have been using VE Pro but only as an internal server.  I have been sending my MIDI using MOL and then taking the audio out through various RME cards and one Echo Gina. I'm in the thick of a project so I need to make a move fast. Would the mac mini work or do I need to stay with a Mac Pro (which seems like overkill at the moment).

Also, can you get more instances of VE Pro open when using more computers?

Thanks.

• For a slave machine, I'd get a cheap windows PC with an i7, you can get a much better deal for your money than a mini and much more flexibility and better performance.

• I've actually just bought one for this purpose (a new 2.4ghz model which came up refurbished). Planning to fit 8gb ram, and a 7200 external hd. Not set up for VSL yet, but all i can tell you so far is that it's quiet as a mouse, seems to generate very little heat (though not tested it a lot yet) and it's (obviously) very small. If it's fast enough to be a VSL farm, it should be great. I'm so out out of practice using PCs after 5 years, I would really prefer to keep my studio all-mac, even though i could getter cheaper PC system. Will report back how I get on!

D