Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,759 users have contributed to 42,257 threads and 254,907 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Stibi74 said:

Hi, i have the same Problem..(8 Core / Logic 9.1.3 VE Pro latest Version on one Machine) I know that i can fix it when i mix everyhting in VE Pro and return it as one Stereo Output Back to Logic..but that would kill my whole Setup. (SSL Duende won´t work know in the 64Bit VEPro and the Euphonix MC Mix and MC Controls just can Mix a hole Stereo Input of "Strings" "Brass" etc...which make the a kind of "useless" - having all this faders) So my question: Can i fix it when i run VE Pro on a second machine (PC?), or is the moment when the Audio Input is linked to the Logic on the Mac Pro the bottle neck - and is still get this overload, even if all the Vienna stuff is NOT on the same machine? Thanks for your help! greets Stefan

If you run VE Pro on a separate PC life is much better I find.  I only have one PC so far and that runs a competitors string library, but within the VEPro host.  Logic barely notices the incoming load (granted thats just a stereo stream, but more won't bother it).  I gave up trying to host all 32 instruments in VE Pro on my older MacPro 2.66 because my machine just isn't fast enough.  Until I can build a 2nd PC to host all the Vienna stuff it will live inside Logic.  At least that way I can start freezing individual tracks as the load starts to get heavy.  The downside is if I tweak the template and need to apply it to other projects it's a long process.

Chris

• Hi Chris, thanks for your reply..am i right: At this point you don´t work with 2 different pc? So you not 100 % shure if a second PC would fix the problem? Because i think about to buy a second PC to fix it - but if i buy it just to find out, it´s still the same problem in the moment the audio arrives to the mac and logic - that would be not so good - in case of time an money :-((( So if you (or anyone) have some reliable informations if this could fix it - that would be great... Thank you Stefan

• last edited
    last edited

@Stibi74 said:

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply..am i right: At this point you don´t work with 2 different pc? So you not 100 % shure if a second PC would fix the problem? Because i think about to buy a second PC to fix it - but if i buy it just to find out, it´s still the same problem in the moment the audio arrives to the mac and logic - that would be not so good - in case of time an money :-((( So if you (or anyone) have some reliable informations if this could fix it - that would be great... Thank you Stefan

I'll know this weekend becuase I was going to test a setup where my MacBook pro runs my choirs.  I'll let you know.

Chris

• I thought perhaps running multiple VE servers (one for each instrument) would solve this issue, but apparently not. I'm still running 32-bit Logic as many of my plugins are not yet 64-bit, so the only way I can run large templates is with VE-pros ability to load my sample heavy instruments outside logic. 

Is there any solution to this problem? I'm not even running a full orchestra and I'm already hitting the limit of my CPU since its only using one core!! I am only running 10 VE pro servers, each with a single instrument & no aux routing. I'm even running 5 in 64-bit and 5 in 32-bit VE pro servers hoping this would spread the load, and apparently it doesn't!! 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Is my only option to abandon VE-pro and run everything in 64-bit? 

• You can run 32 bit and 64 bit AU in Logic set in 64 bit

It is better t have 16 VI in a VE PRO

I have 1 x VE PRO 64 bit server with 8 x VE PRO that have a total of 80 VI (instruments) and this uses 50/60 % of my CPU on very heavy parts

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Sorry, I should have been more clear. On playback if I select an aux my CPU load is great! Like 30% for each core great (activity monitor)! However, when I record arm a VE-pro to add more notes, thats when the core peaks, whether I'm playing it or not. I have a new VE-pro instance for each instrument, so its not like all my orchestra becomes active, just my violins for example, and I'm still peaking! This seems to only happen with VE-pro instruments, as my EXS instruments do not exhibit this behavior. 

I had to up my process buffer to 512, which is high when trying to play midi instruments. I'm on a 2.93 Nahalem 8-core with 24GB ram, so my machine should be plenty powerful. Any advice?  

edit: whats odd is this seems to be a somewhat random occurrence, as sometimes the load is balanced between two cores, but more often then not its back to one core peaking.  

• That behavior is normal for Logic.  The only thing you could do is freeze some tracks that aren't being worked on.  The peaks you are experiencing are from all the VE Pro instances.  I discovered that I had a lot of success but setting the VEP server for 1-CORE per instance.  Not only did the VEP CPU usage drop the peaks did too.  I'm not totally out of the woods as it still will occasionally hiccup but it made it far more doable and I'm running at 128k buffer.

Chris

• last edited
    last edited

@C_Caouette said:

That behavior is normal for Logic.  The only thing you could do is freeze some tracks that aren't being worked on.  The peaks you are experiencing are from all the VE Pro instances.  I discovered that I had a lot of success but setting the VEP server for 1-CORE per instance.  Not only did the VEP CPU usage drop the peaks did too.  I'm not totally out of the woods as it still will occasionally hiccup but it made it far more doable and I'm running at 128k buffer.

Chris

Thank you very much for your reply Chris!! I'm going to try this 1-core per instance switch now!! THANKS!! 

• WOW! I tried to switch it to 1 processor per core, and now when I open the project I was working on, I get an error in logic saying "Failed to load Audio Unit Vienna Ensemble, please contact manufacturer for further assistance." whats odd is this only effected the 64-bit server, the 32-bit loaded everything fine. Any advice? 

edit: it looks like it has to do with me changing the number of audio ports from 32 to anything else, not the threads like I thought. Again this only effects the 64-bit server in my setup. The 32-bit changes like a champ! But more importantly, changing the threads to 1 each in VE-pro was not a significant difference. Maybe its a little better, but it still spikes occasionally when record arming and playing an instrument, more so with my 64-bit instruments than my 32-bit.

So I'm still looking for help on how to best set this up. Chris, how are you getting such awesome performance? Is it best to run a bunch of instruments in one VE-pro instance, or to load only one instrument per VE-pro and load a bunch of individual instances? I must say, I'm very sad by this revelation that my mac cannot be used to its full potential. I'd imagine the problem is with Logic's handling of multi-cores, but any advice from VSL would be greatly appreciated! 

p.s. Incase you're wondering why I'm using both 64-bit & 32-bit, I'm still on Kontakt 3.5, which does not load in 64-bit hosts. I hear Kontakt 4 does, so perhaps if my problem is indeed the mixing/matching of 64-bit & 32-bit, I may have to upgrade. 

• I only run the 32 bit version as I decided to run VE instruments inside Logic instead.  I did try having both the 64 and the 32 bit VEP server running and too was hit with a lot of CPU problems, even with nothing running.  Try dropping the audio ports way down.  As a note I have a slave Win7 machine that rune VEP 64 server with 5 instances and that also seemed to slightly benefit from making it 1 core, but not a significant amount to make it worth while.  I also noticed that if Logic's 32bit bridge runs at the same time it crashed constantly with VEP running too.  

I'm not sure how to fully solve the problem on your end unless you try just running in 64 bit mode on Logic, use your VI there and just run 32 bit plugins on VEP.  I'm running mine on an older Mac Pro quad 2.66.  

Chris

• Please pardon my ignorance here. I'm a brand new user of VSL and Logic. I'm running this on a Macbook Pro i7, with 8GBs of RAM. I'm currently loading a single VSL instrument into each channel. I'm not using the VSL Ensemble. I haven't checked my activity monitor, but so far I've been able to run about 25 channels, each with their own VSL instrument without even a hiccup.

Would I get even better performance if I used Ensemble or Ensemble Pro?

• last edited
    last edited

@JET said:

Please pardon my ignorance here. I'm a brand new user of VSL and Logic. I'm running this on a Macbook Pro i7, with 8GBs of RAM. I'm currently loading a single VSL instrument into each channel. I'm not using the VSL Ensemble. I haven't checked my activity monitor, but so far I've been able to run about 25 channels, each with their own VSL instrument without even a hiccup.

Would I get even better performance if I used Ensemble or Ensemble Pro?

yes 

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Hi. i work with 12 cores Mac Pro, logic 9.1.8 and vep 5. i have six instances of vep, with 16 instruments kontakt in each one. and what i see is that mostly is only a core working, the others do not move. and if a put long reverbs, delays,... almost that one core is picking. Any help please? Thanks!!