Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,369 users have contributed to 42,222 threads and 254,771 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 58 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Gary Dugan said:

I wonder if MIR SE would run on a Mac by using Boot Camp.

Yes, of course it will. You can run the full MIR under bootcamp.

DG

• It's been a long time VSL tends to give up on Mac OSX.

From some exchanges I had with one moderator a long time ago, it's seems that he (or some of the coders)

doesn't even like my beloved operating system at all ( they use their own windows view for V.I. making quick window switching impossible in Logic, They bypass core audio ... for some good reasons it seems). It sounds like with the coming of their dedicated PC workstations approach (mainly for ensemble and MIR) for "hollywood studios", this trend gets stronger and stronger.

Up to the point we're at now : no MIR SE for Mac platform.

I just want to say how sad I'am about this .

In my eyes VSL is by far the best symphonic library ever made, Mac is by far the best platform ever made

(I use both PC and Mac on a daily basis).

As for the MIR _pro_ OSX pseudo-announcement, I'm not sure this will fit my needs and budget.

I'm very interested in MIR SE (and I'm at the right place/forum though), I use VSL SE and Solo Strings to add some string arrangement to Pop -Rock and Metal  music,  I'm under Mac OSX and I don't wan't to fill one of my room with a cluster of PCs to get a string quartet sounding right.

So as a humble user of VSL can't I expect seeing VSL team keeping releasing their great tools and software for my platform, my budget and needs ? As they started with VSE ...

Is it too much to ask, or is it just me ?

• last edited
    last edited

@manu_28410 said:

It's been a long time VSL tends to give up on Mac OSX. [...]

Actually all our products are available for Windows and OSX. Small differences in their feature-sets exist due to the different technical possibilities of the two platforms.

The one big exception is Vienna MIR, of course. I don't know if you followed the development of this unique application: It started over eight years ago, when the mere idea was ridiculed as science fiction. We had to overcome quite a few obstacles during this time - as a matter of fact we invented not only one, but several new techniques and new approaches to make the daring concept become reality. Quite a few of these solutions had to rely on OS-specific preconditions (both hardware and software) which Apple/OSX didn't offer at that time, sorry to say so. We were happy that we were able to release MIR at all, to be honest.

Things have changed now. Based on the same concept, we are working on a new engine right now, the "pseudo-announced" 😉 MIR Pro. This is not just a port to a new OS, but a complete rewrite. It will be available for your beloved OSX as well as for Windows. It will offer new features and deeper integration into existing DAWs, too. There's still a lot of things that need to be done, but we're getting closer.

But in the meantime, you don't need a "room with a cluster of PCs to get a string quartet sounding right". Every recent Mac with Windows 7 under BootCamp should do the trick 😊

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Please correct me if I'm wrong, but its my limited understanding that MIR is a mixing host, and as such you need your DAW, all sample libraries, and MIR all running on the same computer, correct? If so, then its still impossible for Logic/Mac users to run MIR, even in bootcamp, as Logic is a mac OS only software. :( 

• Actually you do not need to have your DAW on the same computer as MIR as long as you route midi data into, and audio data out of the computer that runs MIR.  No reason not to run Logic on your Mac and MIR on a slave PC.  You would simply be sending a two track (or surround sound) mix back to your DAW.  OTOH, all of your sample libraries do have to be on the computer that is running MIR along with related plugins you wish to use on the individual instruments (granted, that would exclude Logic plugins).

• You can run MIR on a separate PC. It doesn't need to be on your DAW.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

This is not just a port to a new OS, but a complete rewrite. It will be available for your beloved OSX as well as for Windows.

Alright, but as soon as I hear "pro" it sounds like its price tag will get very far from "SE" 395 stereo-euros.

I mean SE is probably what I need, Pro might be overkill, thus overpriced for me ...

Though ?

• Thank you very much for your reply. Its good to know it can be done, but its not a very good solution for me, as in addition to Vienna suite I also use the wonderful UAD card (which I would want on more than just my orchestral mix). Not to mention that I actually do use Logic plugins as well :) 

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the future holds in the mac department. I would hope the next gen 12-core mac's would at least be able to run MIR SE! 

• Very exicting to hear about MIR se here.

And it sounds so real! Wow!

• The Mir SE announcement sounded so interesting and I think it really is for people who  can deal with the system requirements.

The price tag is now absolutely in an affordable range. That´s´s not a problem.

But for a wider audience I think even Mir SE is too demanding regarding the software requirements.

It seems it still asks for 64 bit and Windows 7 / Vista.

To my knowledge most of the musicians still use XP 32 for several reasons, mainly because of compatibility issues and driver problems for audio and other extension cards.

If possible, I think a lot of users would be very happy about Mir light SE^2.

Perhaps with even reduced instance capability.

If also that is impossible, what about an ultra simple "pan pot only" project, like in the Vienna suite, but as a single download. Perhaps with a small backdoor for a reverb with which you can control the distance to the instrument. This could also work in a regular VST environment, which will be a good thing for many user systems.

• Kleinholgi,

Vienna MIR has to rely on 64bit operating systems for a myriad of reasons :-) - I can't imagine that there will be a 32bit version any time soon.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Bad luck.

Hopefully Win7 gets more accepted than Vista did in the past. It seems it is a good operation system again, we might only have to wait some time, before all drivers and software programs support the 64bit architecture.

Any chance for at least a single download pan pot from the Vienna suite ?

I think in the 90s there was also an idea called the Q system, which might have been very expensive at that time, featuring a 3d hardware controller with some kind of surround capability, but in the end a nice tool to position instruments in a better way compared to standard stereo pannings. If I remember right, some Sting and Roger Waters productions used it.

Greetings

kh