Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,531 users have contributed to 42,236 threads and 254,836 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• Well, I just started from scratch with a new Logic 9.1.1 (32-bit) song, a new external instance of VE Pro (32 bit server) running on a brand-new iMac.  The AU I opened is U-He Zebra 2.5 with a tempo-sync'd arpeggiator patch.  Sure enough, same thing, and I took a screenshot showing the various latencies related to the VE Pro plugin buffers:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx152/whinecellarstudio/Software%20Bugs/VEProbufferbug.jpg

From the top down: original MIDI region; VE Pro plugin set to no buffers, 1 buffer then 2 buffers.  You can clearly see the buffer amount added to the beginning of each audio file as dead space.  I can't find a way around this. and it happens on all 4 of my systems (all with same specs).

• Would you mind sending a mail to  with this issue? No need for any extra information, it's just so we can handle this as a proper support case. Thanks.

• Certainly.  Thanks again Karel for looking into it!

• You should have all of my emails from last year still on your system with the screengrabs and audio files I attached as examples of the the latency problem. If you haven't let me know and I'l resend.

FYI I doubt whether it's a Logic problem as I experimented with using one of my slave MacBook Pros as the Master and the problems didn't occur - no latency at all. They only seem to happen when using the MacPro as the Master with the servers either on the slaves or solely on the MacPro. Weird!

So unfortunately unless I have the buffer of all my instances set to 0 on my MacPro I'm still having to bounce in real-time.

Cheers.

Nick

• Just want to keep this thread alive... I've been doing some maintenance this week to incorporate my new slave Macs, so everything's been clean-installed and brought up to date with the latest versions of everything.

I'm still experiencing this latency comp. issue when the VE Pro buffers are set to 1 or 2.  Not sure what else I can try at this point, because everything's in its factory-fresh state.  Again, this occurs regardless of hosted instrument (tried Kontakt, Omnisphere, Zebra, Vienna Instruments, Stylus RMX) and on both locally and externally-hosted VE Pro instances.  Also tried both 32 and 64-bit servers.  Same results no matter what.

For those of you who are NOT experiencing this on 10.6.3/Logic 9.1.1/VE Pro 4.0.6150, I'd be curious as to your Logic pref settings.  Specifically:

Process Buffer Range (mine = Medium)

Plug-in Latency Compensation (mine = All)

Thanks!

• I'm curious about this issue.

whinecellarstudio: does this only affect tempo synced patches? I've noticed that most of your tests are with tempo-synced stuff.

My test was literally to check that Kontakt triggered locally had the same latency as Kontakt triggered over LAN via VEP. I just had 2 instances running in parallel both triggering the same drum sample and couldn't get the 2 to shift relative to each other under any circumstances playback or bounce, online or offline. I was running at 256 samples buffer, and both 1 and 2 buffers in VEP. Have you tried a test like mine? I'm going to do a test with some tempo-synced stuff and see if I get different results.

I'll do some screen grabs of my Logic preferences when I'm back in the studio next week to see if there's any obvious setting that might be different between our systems and be causing this issue.

Cheers,

Will

• Hey Will, thanks for the reply.  You know, I need to try some non-tempo sync'd stuff - I just figured that would be an ideal test.  I'll give that a shot, but I can't see why it would make a difference - how would VE Pro know or care?  Either way, it isn't right that it's happening, but certainly worth checking into...

Jim

• Hi Will.

The latency problems occur with me irrespective of whether I'm using tempo synced patches or not. The Logic example I sent to VSL last year featured only an individual snare hit.

It happens no matter what plug-in or patch I use, from cellos to synths, arpeggiated sounds to pianos...

Hope you're well.

Nick

• Yes, I can confirm it happens on non-tempo-sync'd instruments as well.  Same results as Nick here.  Interestingly enough, when I turn Logic's latency compensation OFF, then VE Pro instances seem fine... but that's disconcerting to me in the middle of a project.

The search for answers continues!