Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,866 users have contributed to 42,370 threads and 255,390 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 74 new user(s).

• yes - its a bit insane I know.

I was just getting tired of investing in seperate machines, messing about with networks, MOL etc. - so I decided to get everything on 1 machine and get it right this time. So I hope this beast will deliver for years to come, years where I have a stable workstation and no worries  :-)

• last edited
    last edited

Wow, that machine is a _real_ beast! May I use it for testing ....? [A]

@Kambiz said:

[...] or maybe your mainboard has digital out (herefore easily use asio4all driver!)

now in cubase you can use a digital input of MR816 (as audio input or virtual instrument). the only thing now missing is a digital cable between the devices 😉 [...]

Don't laugh - I tried this already, and it works like a charm! Actually it's an absolutely valid solution, with two BIG exceptions:

1. Most built-in soundcards don't allow for external clocking, thus they have to be the clock-master in a setup like that. You bet that its cheap clock is worse (jitter-wise) than anything used for pro (or even semi-pro) audio systems.

2. Many built-in soundcards use a fixed sample rate of 48 kHz. They _will_ play 44.1 kHz audio streams, but only on behalf of real-time resampling. This might not be the best possible way to listen to a delicate VSL/MIR-mix. 8-)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • mnm - I plan to use an Echo Audiofire 4 - routing MIR to this and then run the s/pdif into one of my MR816.

However the Echo does not have ext.clock in, so I suppose it has to be the master, and sync the MR816 via the s/pdif ?

Man, this are going to spell trouble, I know it, I know it, I know it....

Why oh, why did I not listen to the little voice in my head: Buy RME Buy RME

• last edited
    last edited

@Sapkiller said:

[...] Why oh, why did I not listen to the little voice in my head: Buy RME Buy RME

<shrugs shoulders> ... yes, seemingly this decision would have made things a bit easier ... [*-)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Wow, that machine is a _real_ beast! May I use it for testing ....? 

That can be arranged - if its for testing MIR pro with virtual outs to sequencer [;)][:P]

• no, no, use my machine for that! :) 6 core and absolutely stable. and did i mention: i use rme ;)

i am hoping the best for MIR pro. the absolute highlight would be the posibility to add instruments directly in cubase and do all the rest in MIR. no virtual midi or audio routing etc

• The main reason I went for MR816 was because I use Cubase, so the extra tight integration was alluring - and it is nice and working well.

Also you seem to get more for less with MR816...just not multiclient operation [:(]

I had the opportunity to do a comparison btw. FW-800 and MR816 - and well not much difference in sound quality of the Mics, maybe the MR816 was a little bit more crisp. Both where stable, but I could get the RME all the way down to 64 samples w/o drop-outs, the MR816 started with dropouts at 96 samples.

I must admit that I sort of assumed that since the MR816 is supposed to be a professional audio interface, it would naturally have this feature, and I think its shame on Steinberg for not having provided this. 

I hope MIR Pro will be released some time soon, preferably by august first [A] - and yeah you're right it would be great to have VI proxies in your sequencer.

• last edited
    last edited

@Kambiz said:

[...] i am hoping the best for MIR pro. the absolute highlight would be the posibility to add instruments directly in cubase and do all the rest in MIR. no virtual midi or audio routing etc

I can't promise anything, but there might be a few pleasant surprises for you in the not so distant future 😉

• So Dietz - when will MIR Pro be released?[;)]

I know you can't answer that - but maybe you could tell the year? 2010? 2011?

• Like I wrote in another thread recently: We have high hopes to see MIR Pro in Winter 2010/2011 - but that's not an official announcement, so please don't hold your breath for it. Software development is always a moving target when it comes to schedules ...

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Like I wrote in another thread recently: We have high hopes to see MIR Pro in Winter 2010/2011 - but that's not an official announcement, so please don't hold your breath for it. Software development is always a moving target when it comes to schedules ...

Thx Dietz

- and I will try and breathe now and then [:D]