i have been helping a colleague setup his template using VEpro. He has quite a few vienna instruments he wants to use and we worked out that the standalone version is the best one to use - the server is too unreliable and crashes if logic crashes. also, it makes for poor backwards compaitblity with previous templates. 64bit logic is not an option - except for opening old songs pre-9.
so we have set everything using the loopback method but we are getting this strange intermittent 6 second delay from the midi side with kontakt instruments. intermittent in that it does not always occur, but once it starts occuring it will remain until a reboot. it means that kontakt within VEpro is unreliable.
he is using:
- nahelem 8-core 2.66
- 12 Gb RAM (i know he needs more but i don't think that is the issue - it occurs in very small templates)
- VEpro 64-bit version
- Kontakt 4.1
- Motu 828 24 i/o
- IAC bus for midi
- the problem does not affect any vienna instruments
- it is not audio. clicking the kontakt keybaord results in no delay.
- the midi is leaving logic correctly - i tested with midi monitor - both in logic and the freeware OSX version outside logic.
- the problem only occurs in kontakt on the midi side.
- there is no midi loop (checked this).
- we initially thought that it might have been because the template was built in 32-bit, because the problem was always present in 64bit standalone. when we rebuilt the template things worked alright for a while, but it is apparently back. this meant having to move kontakt to logic. it works of course, but it's messy having your template loaded in 2 locations.
you can download the template from VI-control here i also posted on this:
the konakt instruments in this template always output the sound 5 to 6 seconds after the key has been pressed with the midi routed via logic.
has anyone encountered this? it is not likely a problem kontakt side since it works normally in every other configuration (ie not VEpro).