Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,431 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,794 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• By reading the Vienna Imperial's manual, I see there is a "2sus" parameter. It is described this way:

"The 2sus Feature increases the realism of sustained notes that are pressed before the sustain pedal is activated."

I can't understand if this describes something similar to a repedalling or the half-pedal. Or, maybe it is just some type of sympatetic resonance without retriggering the key. Someone more knowledgeable than me can try to explain?

Paolo

• Hi Paolo, 

This is best explained by listening, I think: Play a note without sustain, then press the sustain pedal. Do this with any without the 2sus feature enabled and you should hear the difference. 

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thank you, Paul. I see what you mean. It's the halo around a note, that is created by pressing down the damper pedal while the note is also pressed.

So, I renew my hope that the Vienna Imperial is not abandoned, and can see a refresh with the missing half-pedal (and possible repedalling?) feature â€“ maybe with the algorhythms developed for the new CFX â€“ to continue being the best, more resonant Viennese piano, even for the forthcoming years.

Paolo

• Hi Paolo, 

To be honest, I don't think that an update for the Vienna Imperial is in the cards anytime soon. 

But I agree, the Vienna Imperial is a GREAT piano. 

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • On a second thought, I think that 2sus may be considered what is elsewhere called "repedaling".

Paolo

• Another thought on the Vienna Imperial issues.

- 2sus is not equivalent to repedalling. It's the freeing of the strings while a key is kept pressed, and not the resonance retriggered during the note release.

- In case the piano can be revised, I would be perfectly fine with half-pedal just increasing the release lenght, with lower notes proportionally longer than the others. One, or even two degrees of this simulated half-pedal would create a credible effect when in need of that subtle halo in some pieces of authors like Chopin or Debussy.

Please, VSL, despite being a great step for the playing humanity, I'm sure it is just a small step for your great software engineers! º‿º 

Paolo

• Ok, I took some time to explore the various pedal combinations. What I found is that there is a sound of half pedal – only, it is not used!

Turn 2sus on. Play a note, and release it. Immediately press the damper pedal, before the note release ends.

What you can hear, is a halo that sounds nearly exactly as the half pedal: a subtle resonance, a distant sound remebering the damper pedal.

It would be just a matter of scripting this effect, to have a convincing half pedal simulation.

I'll say it again: Vienna Imperial is a great piano. It takes very little CPU, and not all that space on disk. It would be great to give it a second opportunity.

Paolo