Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,607 users have contributed to 42,245 threads and 254,865 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Sami Boman said:

Ok, so also the OS and app has to be 64-bit to gain access to larger amounts of RAM? This is a bit confusing with all the different answers. Does someone have a solid knowledge on this matter?

OS has to be 64-bit capable. Both OSX 10.5 and 10.6, running either 64 or 32-bit kernels, will be able to load more than 4GB in VI. Your sequencer can be running in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode - VI will still be able to address more than 4GB of RAM.

As an example, by running any Cubase, Logic or DP on OSX 10.5 with an Intel Mac, you will be able to address more than 4GB in the new VI.

• Hi Martin,

I don't actually use the standalone! The reason I was asking about it was that Karel had answered concerning the security dialogue box I was asking about " this is normal behavior and is required in order to enable VI to use all of your memory properly during execution."   So the obvious question is why does this message come up, only for the standalone, when the standalone is only 32 bits! The thrust of my questions has been to confirm my installation is stable/correct and that these "anomalies" are expected.

Thanks

Julian

• Heya,

Fews things i adding to my 1st post after some test, seem the 1st time you load a project with any VI it take longer time than when you already had loaded one befor, also when i 1st load a project with VI when i want play it i got a big Bip and then can play it normaly.

Idk if its due to logic or no but i using snow leopard 10.6.2 last VI and logic pro8.

Hope it can help and thanks. Best Gilles

• I installed it today. I'm very happy with the new freedom I have to load up more then 3GB. It's really going to make composition so much more fun when I don't have to deal with limitations. Plus the performance of both VSL and my computer in general is like super swish. It's almost like slippery oil (in a good way) when I'm moving windows around. 

I've being working today so I haven't had a chance to do a "load up as many samples as I possibly can" thing yet but I will later and I can't wait. 

[:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Christof Unterberger said:

The only thing that slows down the workflow is still the VI window that has to be opened by clicking on the "show window" button in the server interface plug in window.

It would be so helpful to integrate the VI window directly to the plug in interface, or even to have it opened as floating window, like all other plug in's do...

christof

I don't think this can be changed until there is no longer a memory server connected to VI. If VI used the memory within the host, then this could be changed.

DG

Spectrasonics seem to have achieved this.

Their latest versions of Omnisphere and Trilian both allow you to engage a server.

From the Omnisphere Help file:

Server mode is a way of solving the "out of memory" problem that can happen when using large sample sets with 32-bit hosts and is an alternative to using 64-bit hosts. The Server mode should be used when you are running a 32-bit host on Mac, and you are loading large samples. If you are running a Mac 64-bit host (such as Logic 9.1 or higher), it is not necessary to enable Server mode.

The plugins still open directly as normal Logic floating plugin windows.

Maybe its now time for VSL to overcome this Show Window server interface issue which has bothered many of us for so long.....

• Thank you!
    I will download and will post my impressions with  this update.

With the current version I had some problems in not only remains open and a white square on the screen that does not disappear if not restart my Mac

Best regards and sorry my english
    Pablo Vargas

• This is really better and fast. :-)

i am really happy-

Very good job.

Best Regards

Pablo

• "When i load a project with VI on it and then close it, the VSL serveur is still on the monitor activity and will still use the ram. For can get back the ram i need force close the VSL server."

Sorry for your inconvenience, but personally I hope this is true. Karel, when Logic crashes, am I correct that pre-loaded RAM in VI-64-bit would not have to be reloaded? In the past, it seems that some Logic crashes wipe out the VSL Server, but others leave it untouched. Logic "reloads" VI's in both cases, based on the prompts, but I can see that sometimes it zips by so quickly, it's just reconnecting with what's already in RAM. That can be several minutes' difference. 

If this VI 64-bit works, it will be a most welcomed addition to my workflow. Indeed, for all who have a one-computer workstation, it would be a remarkable improvement. 

• last edited
    last edited

@plowman said:

Sorry for your inconvenience, but personally I hope this is true. Karel, when Logic crashes, am I correct that pre-loaded RAM in VI-64-bit would not have to be reloaded? In the past, it seems that some Logic crashes wipe out the VSL Server, but others leave it untouched. Logic "reloads" VI's in both cases, based on the prompts, but I can see that sometimes it zips by so quickly, it's just reconnecting with what's already in RAM. That can be several minutes' difference. 

If this VI 64-bit works, it will be a most welcomed addition to my workflow. Indeed, for all who have a one-computer workstation, it would be a remarkable improvement. 

If you have enough RAM stuff loaded into memory then "closed" programme data actually remains paged out in RAM - as long as you have spare capacity.

So for example load Logic song 1 - it takes, perhaps, 5 minutes to load all the Vienna samples (excluding any first run license scans) Close song 1 and load song 2 with all new samples. Close song 2 and reload song 1. This time the load time will be about a quarter or even less compared with the initial load. This isn't an app or 64 bit related thing more the structure of the OS and how data is handled.

Julian

• Interesting and well-explained. Many thanks. 

• A bit of a rocky start. 

First in Logic 9.1.0. I load my own Flute Speed matrix which is just the legato and fast legato patches. The horizontal setting (to respond to speed) is flush to the right (which is incorrect, and not how it was saved). When I try to adjust it, VI 64-bit crashes (and VI takes out Logic with it).

Reboot. Successfully load the oboe speed matrix (again, my own custom setting). It loads correctly. I try to load another (different) flute patch over it. First it doesn't take, then it crashes.

Reboot. I try to load another custom Flute Dynamic matrix of three durations. The first cell appears, the second and third do not. Attempt to adjust results in a crash. 

I try Logic 8.0.2. A Flute Dynamic matrix only loads one of six cells. Cannot adjust. Load another flute matrix which DOES load, but I cannot drag the dynamic matrix back onto it. It just says "done" without loading. 

Then I test load a lot of matrices, and they all seem fine. I exit Logic, and I get a problem report that says Logic quit while using VI plugins. 

No, I don't know what to make of any of this either. I want to experiment more before I send crash reports. 

• Okay, things look better. I re-opened those nutty Flute matrices in the VE stand-alone and observed that the cells still weren't loading right. Also, the Flute legato speed had no fast cell, just the regular legato. I must have saved it that way and not realized it.  So when I adjusted that flush-right Speed slider for H-span, I think it freaked out VI 64-bit because there was no second cell. It shouldn't have crashed it, but at least it explains why the fast legato wasn't there. 

I hand-loaded a completely new matrix for each, re-saved, and they seem to be opening fine in VI 64-bit in Logic 9.1. 

Nothing like bad matrix files to give you a false negative when you're testing new software.