Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• The Great Outdoors and Reverb

I noticed that about 40% of the Orchestrated music that I enjoy is performed outdoors (parades, music festivals, marching bands).  This leads me to ask, does MIR or Vienna Suite have any outdoor impulse response verbs available.  If not, are there any plans to develope some.  I think it would be great for something like a Brass band.  I realize that there really isn't much response if the impulse is outdoors but it doesn't sound completely dry either.  So I don't know.

I have some outdoor IR's available on my DAW's convolution reverb package but I think they were designed more as a novel special effect than as a serious reverb application because the signals they produce are just way over exagerated.

Does anybody use outdoor IR's with success?    

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

I noticed that about 40% of the Orchestrated music that I enjoy is performed outdoors (parades, music festivals, marching bands).  This leads me to ask, does MIR or Vienna Suite have any outdoor impulse response verbs available.  If not, are there any plans to develope some.  I think it would be great for something like a Brass band.  I realize that there really isn't much response if the impulse is outdoors but it doesn't sound completely dry either.  [...]

Yes, we have plans to record outdoors locations for Vienna MIR since the very beginning of its development, especially as making music under the blue sky has a long and vivid tradition in Austria. 😊

But this is a tricky issue due to both logistical as well as technical reasons, so please don't expect an "Outdoor RoomPack" for MIR in the near future.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Understood.  But thank you for your quick response.  I'll see if I can make my DAW responses work.