Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• EC wants software makers held liable for code

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10237212-92.html what do you think about that?

• I think that expecting software companies to code for future unknown OS and hardware is not a good idea, but I do think that software developers should be held to account for features that do not work as advertised on current OS and hardware.

DG

• thanks. i think getting totally bug free software is (probably) an illusion. features should work properly though and the customer has a right to get working features.

• basically this already exists and is executed for tailor-made software. however in such cases all or most factors like operating system version, hardware, ect. are defined in detail.

more generic software will never run under any circumstances like say a toaster does (and actually i could fry a toaster with wrong voltage or fry bread if toasted too long).

the main effect IMO would be buerocracy, ie. system requirements would become more restrictive, compatibility list would become unreadably long, some lawyers would earn more money ...

one should better throw such energy into simply making software better ... software which doesn't work as expected does not sell already in the short run.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.