Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• VI - VE 64bits... ?

Hi all,

Simple question...

When could we expect to get VI & VE 64bits on Mac?

Hope will be soon !

Thanks

Best

• VE Pro is already 64 bit on Mac.  Not sure about free VE2.

• Hi,

there will be a 64 bit version of Vienna Instruments in the near future. A 64 bit version of the "normal" Vienna Ensemble is not a priority at the moment. 

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul,

Patiently waiting for 64 bit! I have a lot of sessions that run both VI and VE as plug-ins in Logic - mainly due to having to spread the RAM load.

Q? If I use VI 64 bit when available (in Logic on a 64bit MacPro with Snow Leopard) will the existing sessions happily load the 32 bit VE or would there be a conflict - I'm talking here about existing songs that I may wish to expand - particularly with additional RAM addressing available.

Thanks, Julian

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Julian,

we´re still testing, but I believe that loading "old" arrangements will work fine. Still, you will probably have to assign the old 32 bit Vienna Instruments to be 64 bit Vienna Instruments. OR you can simply expand your arrangements by adding 64 bit Vienna Instruments.

Another option to check out now is of course Vienna Ensemble PRO, which is already 64 bit - the free demo license is available here.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Julian,

we´re still testing, but I believe that loading "old" arrangements will work fine. Still, you will probably have to assign the old 32 bit Vienna Instruments to be 64 bit Vienna Instruments. OR you can simply expand your arrangements by adding 64 bit Vienna Instruments.

Another option to check out now is of course Vienna Ensemble PRO, which is already 64 bit - the free demo license is available here.

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for answering that. Yes you'd think Vienna Pro would be a solution but unfortunately it doesn't play nicely with Logic automation.

Neither of course does Vienna Ensemble but I've always regarded that as a stop gap to increase RAM. With Logic you want to bang in a plug-in stick it in an arrangement then just scribble your automation requirements.

Now there is no way you can do this with Ensemble. First you have to set up separate midi instruments/per channel (if you're using it's multi-timbral abilities) then you have to fiddle with the hyper-draw pages to allocate display options midi channels and control numbers. This is probably OK for template based users but for creators developing arrangements on the fly it's a massive road-block to production flow and for these reasons I regard the Ensemble, however fine it is, to be a Vienna add on "connected by glue, wires and string" rather than an integral part of my DAW.

So yes a 64 bit Vienna Instrument - itself a fine plug-in will be the ticket!

Thanks, Julian

• Perhaps this is a different thread-- My dual core 2.66 ghz 16 gigs RAM w/ Apple 9.1 & Snow Lepard has been on the fritz, which only worsened after I started loading a much worked on piece in 64 bit.  Simple "core overloads" made it impossible to either optimize or freeze tracks.  The freeze function seemed to be working okay, but the track was silent when I played if after freezing.

The adventure continues--there was a loud pop in the playback, followed be the piece falling silent.  This now occurs every time I attempt playback, at the same bar, and for the same 8-10 bar duration, whereafter the piece plays again.  There is no indication of this break in the regions or anywhere in the arrange page.  That all looks perfectly normal.

On top of this, now when I playback I get just a couple of string tracks sounding (that's out of about 30 tracks) and they sound more like a Farfisa organ than strings.  

Talking to the guys at Apple produced no solutions.  They suggested opening in Apple 9.0 (32 bit) as that is the program this piece was originally recorded in.  Tried that, but nothing changed.  

So until I can figure out what's happening/happened, this piece is dead in the water.  Anyone else having trouble with jumping to 64 bit in Logic, with VI still in 32?  Any help appreciated.  Thanks!                         Tom

• Hi Tom,

Just a suggestion to try and get your session working again!

Try a new session in your current Logic set up if that is OK it may point to some problem with your "faulty session" . 

If that is the case you may be able to retrieve/fix the session by importing it to new empty session.

This requires a number of steps! It may appear long and involved but it is the only way I know of faithfully copying/recreating a problematic session in Logic without starting from scratch.

1. Optional step (turn off core audio Logic/preferences/audio - un-tick core audio box) this speeds the steps of switching between sessions and not having samples/load unload.

2. Create a new empty session

3. If the session tempos/signatures are unduly complicated you may want to save these as a midi file and import otherwise just set the new tempo to the existing on in your faulty session (FS)

4. Open the FS leaving the new session open.

5. Copy paste your entire FS environment to the new session you may only need to do the audio level - depends on your set-up

6. Open track mixer in FS and copy the configuration Track Mixer/Options/CopyAudioConfiguration

7. Open track mixer in New and paste the configuration Track Mixer/Option/PasteAudioConfiguration this may take some time as all your samples load at this point.

8. Drag all the required tracks from the environment of the new track into the arrange of the new track

9. Select all the tracks in the arrange of the FS copy

9b. Optional - if you want your automation copied as well you will have to use the menu command "convert track automation to region data" on all your tracks prior to copying then after pasting "convert region data to track automation" just make sure all the track automation you require is within the region borders! 

10. Select the top track in the new session arrange and "paste in original position" all your tracks.

11. The session should now work!

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Still, you will probably have to assign the old 32 bit Vienna Instruments to be 64 bit Vienna Instruments.

I hope that won't be necessary - with all the 64 bit plugs released so far, Logic 9.1 seems to automatically open the 64 bit version when you run the app in 64 bit.

• Julian,

That sounds like a good solution.  Will try it later and report back.  Thanks for taking the time to go through all the steps!  Best,  Tom