Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Advice for Future Purchases Needed

I am seeking advice on how to plan for future VSL purchases.  My funds are very limited, and at best I can only purchase a library or two every couple of years, so it is important to make wise choices.  I currently own all four of the SE and SE+ libraries.  Your advice is most appreciated.

In thinking about it there seems to be a number of options.  What would be a wise approach?

1. First approach: save for AP strings and extended.  Advantages: it seems to me that the extended libaries are important for realistic interpretation.  Having additional strings would be my first priority.  Drawback: due to limited funds this would need to be my only planned library purchase.  It also seems to me that many users stick primarily to the standard libraries.  Any thoughts or comments?

2. Second approach: save for a couple standard libraries, and use my existing SE+ libraries for trills, and some of the other articulations as needed.  Advantage: could possibly buy a couple of standard libraries this way.  Concern: how well would using some SE+ patches mesh with sounds from the full libraries?  Would this be a good approach, or not?

3. Other possible purchase instead of, or in addition to, the above: Vienna Suite.  Advantage: I have much to learn about mixing and mastering, being a complete noob to those tasks.  The Vienna Suite looks like it would be most useful as well as a big help in the learning process.  Questions: for those who have purchased it, how valuable have you found it to be?  Would you suggest purchasing it relatively soon, or waiting?

4. In general, what have users found to be a good upgrade path from the four SE and SE+ libaries?  Is there a fairly common approach?

5. Computer power required for the above plus my existing SE libraries: I currently have a PC with a Q9550 processor and 8 gigs of ram for all of my sample libraries.  How many VSL libraries would I be able to run well on that one machine?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Last, I would simply like to say thank you to the VSL team, for the quality of your products.  For what I am seeking to do, even with just SE, the overall sound is excellent, and the GUI is very well laid out (though I readily admit that I have much to learn).

• last edited
    last edited

I would say that it really depends on your style of writing but here are my thoughts on your points.

@Another User said:

5. Computer power required for the above plus my existing SE libraries: I currently have a PC with a Q9550 processor and 8 gigs of ram for all of my sample libraries.  How many VSL libraries would I be able to run well on that one machine?

It depends on how much you need for the project.  Generally, the more you need (artics, effects, etc.) then the more need (RAM CPU power etc.)  If the SE libs are working fine on your computer then the regular DVD collections wil work too.

Hope this helps.

•  Thank you for your reply.  It is indeed quite helpful.  I actually am currently doing some experamentation with layering my existing SE strings to see how far I can get in terms of a more lush sound.

It is good to hear of your success combining standard libraries articulations with others from SE.  That would influence me to lean more towards purchasing standard libraries.

As for computer power, so far with what I have attempted, the cores haven't spiked beyond 20% or so (typically a classical period sized orchestra using both sections and corresponding solo instruments), and the RAM hit is not severe.  The question is to what degree using "X" number of articulations from "Y" number of standard libraries will likely cause bottlenecks.

The Vienna Suite is appealing precisely because I am not sound engineer literate, and will soon need to take some beginning steps in that area.

Again, thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@noldar12 said:

The question is to what degree using "X" number of articulations from "Y" number of standard libraries will likely cause bottlenecks.

Well, like I said in my response, it would depend on what your writing style is.  The standard libraries that I own come with a speed matrix that works very well for what I do.  I then create another matrix with the remainder artics that I need and I switch back and forth between the two.  When using VE, Vienna Ensemble, it all works very well on my system and my system is half of your system.  Just load the patches that you need and no more.

• My vote would go for the full App 1. Also, if you are not in a hurry, wait for the next special offer. As an SE customer, I got the extension of App 1 for free one year ago. The special offer are always different but the next one will come for sure. [:D] Then definitely jump on that occasion. I own also the full solo strings 1. But if you are not specifically  more into chamber music you can postpone that purchase. Vienna Suite is very nice. However with your limited resources... Why dont you get voxengo span http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/    which is free. It is a real time spectrum analyzer that can help you to find the relevant eq frequencies for eqing. Vienna suite has such a tool integrated into the eq.  With the fully expanded SE and plus you have so many options to mix in chamber or solo or orchestral strings with App, it will take you a while to use it at its fullest.

• Thanks veet.  If I had the funds, based on comments on the forums here, and other research, I would eventually go for the full AP, full solo strings, the Vienna Suite, woodwinds I, and brass I (note: as a double-bass player for many years, based on the solo bass in SE, the full version would be the only library I know of that could actually come extremely close to having the full range of techniques of a true solo bass-what is in SE is outstanding).  At this point, the need is simply to establish firm goals, and develop a long-term purchase plan.