Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,800 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,928 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 29 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

•  argh, i "wasted" the demo license already..id really like to try MIR with 3rdparty VST`s somehow, will there be a new demo lisence (probably not) for the update?

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Like stated several times before - we still have the plan to release MIR on the Mac someday, but were some hurdles we couldn't overcome during the last few months. Right now, we are concentrating on version 1.1, so there will be no OSX-release ready in the near future, sorry to say so.

Thank's for the update Dietz.  I guess I was hoping to hear that your team had gotten around the hurdles that you had mentioned several times earlier in the year so that MIR would become a reality for the current generation of Intel Macs.  If I'm hearing you correctly, there is probably not much hope that there will be a release for the Macs that are currently on the market.  This leads me to believe that if I want to deluge into the MIR experience, that I will have no option but to purchase an additional high-end PC now or wait for a new generation of Macs to hit the market and gamble that the Apple hardware and OS will not be a hinderance allowing your team to move forward.  Not what I was hoping to hear but it sounds like today's Mac architecture/OS is just not robust enough to allow MIR to function efficiently.  Calling it like it is, I'm I on track with my thinking?

• i'd say the architecture/OS is robust enough, just the current macPro generation wouldn't allow you too much fun ...

triple channel ram is limited to 6 memory slots and eg. looking into your registrations and considering 1-2 GB for OS, 3-4 GB for roompack  that means ~7 GB left for arrangement ... hmmm ... kind of meager for everything beyond the special edition ...

IIRC it has been stated that pushing MIR development in general appears to be more efficient than opening the second platform at the current state of affairs ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I see Christian.  That would be tight.  Maybe a string quartet at most........

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

MIR 1.1 will be open for 3rd-party VSTi's. It will be released in a few weeks (we are in the beta-testing phase right now).

[:'(]

Arrrggghh. It has been said 10 days back Mir 1.1 will be released in a few days. Hard to deal with that impatience.

( I would N E E D this for finishing one project)

• "Iin a few days"...?Hm ....  I can't find the message you refer to at the moment - but in any case, if I or somebody else wrote that, it was misleading. Sorry for the confusion. 

But to make it a bit easier (and faster) for you, we have decided to go for a public beta phase this time. :-)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Herb wrote on Dec. 4th in this thread:

Third party VSTi implementation into MIR is already done and we are testing now.

Hopefully we can release this version in the next days.

best

Herb

Let me know when the beta version of Mir 1.1 ia available.

• last edited
    last edited

@Musicmaster said:

Talking of this, it would be very nice to include the Audio/MIDI-over-Ethernet solution of VE-Pro in MIR - especially for all of those customers who already have bought VE Pro (again I'm talking of myself 😊. 

Hope that helps. 

Best wishes, 

Hans-Peter.

Agreed. One big turn off for me is the MIR workflow (I don't own MIR btw). I just would imagine that ethernet solution would make the MIR an excellent tool.

• I agree with the last post. MIR looks fascinating, but is VERY limited by being in an enclosed environment where everything including Vieena Instruments must share one machine's RAM and CPU resources.

Surely, being able to plug it into other machines via Ethernet is a logical next step. Being able to, in effect, use MIR as an external effect, via Ethernet, would allow it to join the chorus of wonderful sonic possibilities that already exist, rather than it being a fixed, albeit interesting, alternative.

Perhaps (dreaming here), the ideal would be:

Run the Vienna Instruments as we all are doing now, using VE Pro Server. Have the host sequencer "pass on" the VI instrument information (just an ID tag really) and audio signal (all via ethernet) to the correct channel in MIR. Then bring back the processed result into the Sequencer, again via ethernet. A kind of MIR Server Interface comes to mind.

Just my 2 pence.

B

• We all agree that the ethernet-integration we will introduce with Vienna MIR Pro will enhance the possibilities a lot. Nontheless, MIR is not meant to be seen as "external effect" - it will always have to be seen as mixing front end for your virtual orchestration.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library