Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,469 users have contributed to 42,230 threads and 254,808 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Yes, I could not reproduce this. I assume you're using Cubase 4.2 or newer when using the VST3 plugin? Cheers.

• last edited
    last edited

@Karel said:

Yes, I could not reproduce this. I assume you're using Cubase 4.2 or newer when using the VST3 plugin? Cheers.

yes, I'm using the latest release of Cubase 4 and the crash occurs with both the VST2 and VST3 version of the plugin.  I don't know what's unique to my system.  I've tried removing VST plugins from the scan path, and every combination of preference settings.  All I know is that if Cubase tries to load up VEP in the 32-bit server it crashes the server.  The only way I can get it to work is to load the meta file (if I remember to save it) and then connect manually after the cubase project has loaded.

This behaviour was not evident in the previous build.  Can you offer me any troubleshooting suggestions?  Any ideas to try?

Brett

• It's happening here with C5.1 (32bit DAW) as well (VEP 64bit Slave). If I load a previously saved project with a preserved instance it loads all samples and when it's done, VE just goes away for good.

So basically the first fix mentioned in your changelog is causing this or at leat seems to be the reason. Since it didn't automatically load in VEP's previous build ( we had to click Load Plugin Data manually) it never occured there.

No problems if I load an .mframe or .viframe first.

• @MaD, it sounds similar to my difficulties.  I'm on 32-bit Cubase 4, XP64 but for me it's only the VEP 32-bit server that crashes, VEP 64-bit is fine.  I wonder if it's an XP64 OS thing?  I'll swap to W7 in time but for now all I know is that the crashes aren't evident in the previous VEP build with my combination of OS and DAW.

Brett

• Brett (others) - How is this latest build working for you now?   I have the original working solid (master and slaves all running x64) - a little afraid to update fearing any negative change.  Like the new 'features' but not at the cost of stability.

Thanks for your reply.

Rob

• Yup, this is exactly what's happening here too. It will crash after loading when connecting to the server or the host. Rolled back to the first version and all is good.

• I have great respect for the team at VSL, and for VEP which is a wonderful product and a welcome replacement for FXT.  However, for those of us experiencing problems with the latest build on XP64 I think we're stuck with it.  Paul correctly pointed out in this thread http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/22729.aspx?PageIndex=3 that XP64 is an unsupported product, disappointing as this may be.  Something has broken between builds for some of us but that's unlikely to be addressed.  Switching to W7 when it is released (23rd Oct I believe here in Australia) is the only way I'll know if the VEP crashes are OS related, but porting over to a new OS is no small task for any of us.  There was no way I was going to Vista.

Brett

• Brett, I'm working on XP64 and am getting no crashes at all. If you like you can give me a repro to do, and then if I don't get a crash, we can see what the differences between our systems are.

DG

• Thanks DG, that would be great.  My repro is about 9 posts up from here [:)]

it's only the VEP32 server that crashes upon loading.  I can load up a metaframe and connect manually OK, but anything that forces plugins to load within VEP32 while loading a Cubase project causes the VEP32 server to crash.  VEP64 is fine though.  (I'm in 32-bit Cubase 4 latest, XP64, VEP on host machine).  I also still have problems with the LASS legato patches and you can follow my tests in the LASS thread if you wish.  For now not preserving my VEP instances is my workaround there unfortunately)

Brett

• I'm not on XP64. Have been using Vista64 but am now running Win7x64... and got those problems. It's not an XP64 thing. Must be something else entirely. Oh and obviously I've only used the 64bit server.

• I've only tried this with a fresh VE instance (as described by the repro steps) and could not get a crash. Are you sure nothing has to be loaded in the instance (VI samples, 3rd party VST(i)?).

• Hi Karel.  No, it doesn't matter if there are any VSTi's loaded or if the VEP instance is emtpy I still get the crash upon loading of any Cubase project that forces VEP32 server to load it's VEP instance with it (repro above).  Are you trying this in XP64 on Cubase 4 or in another OS? (I know that XP64 is not supported).  I'm also using VEP32 locally - no slaves at the moment.  If someone could confirm this is an OS thing I'm fine with that, but something has changed between builds.  I'm also happy to accept that this is something unique to my setup (although others above have described similar problems), however as I mentioned earlier the VEP32 server crashes I experience do not occur with the previous build.

Thanks for taking a look Karel - Brett

• I am on WinXp and it happens here. Something definitely changed between builds. Happens here on the server and when I try to connect on the host as well (from which I have to do a hard reset of the computer to recover). Rolled back to the previous version and all is well again. btw, I am using Nuendo 4.3

• last edited
    last edited

@brett said:

Thanks DG, that would be great.  My repro is about 9 posts up from here

it's only the VEP32 server that crashes upon loading.  I can load up a metaframe and connect manually OK, but anything that forces plugins to load within VEP32 while loading a Cubase project causes the VEP32 server to crash.  VEP64 is fine though.  (I'm in 32-bit Cubase 4 latest, XP64, VEP on host machine).  I also still have problems with the LASS legato patches and you can follow my tests in the LASS thread if you wish.  For now not preserving my VEP instances is my workaround there unfortunately)

Brett

OK, I can repro your crash here. I obviously never worked that way before....!

Regarding your LASS  problems, is it LASS or is it Kontakt? Is there any way to narrow this down? I don't have LASS, but will test with The Trumpet when I have more time.

FWIW I use lots of CC with Vienna Instruments (up to 8 different controllers at a time as well as 2 keyswitches) and haven't noticed any problems. Maybe it's the scripting that is not working properly?

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Regarding your LASS  problems, is it LASS or is it Kontakt? Is there any way to narrow this down? I don't have LASS, but will test with The Trumpet when I have more time.  FWIW I use lots of CC with Vienna Instruments (up to 8 different controllers at a time as well as 2 keyswitches) and haven't noticed any problems. Maybe it's the scripting that is not working properly?

Is it LASS or Kontakt or VEP?  No idea.  Generally if I don't preserve my VEP instances and therefore stay linked with the sequencer I don't have problems.  However if for example I save with all VEPs 'preserved' and load the project file the next day then the LASS scripting appears broken. My current cubase project file is a large one, encompassing many cues spread of over a 2 hour film.  Oddly, if I start a new project with only a couple off LASS legato patches, the above behaviour cannot be reproduced.  I don't know if this is to do with the complexity of the project or because I started this project using the previous VEP build, however with my current project, the above behaviour is reproduceable.  However, as I mentioned in the LASS thread I'm not entirely sure that LASS and or Kontakt is isn't at least part to blame as very occasionally the scripting breaks mid session.  There are a couple of threads on the LASS forums where this has happened to users in Bidule also.  However, the fact that here scripting 'breaks' depending on whether a project was connected or not to VEP prior to saving suggests that there is some interaction with VEP....or something...

There's one other thing - could be nothing but the chorus on one of the NI Elektrik pianos I'm using always weirds out when I load the previous night's project.  The frequency of the chorus effect doesn't save properly and always re-loads to fast.  Just a little oddness that I never noticed with FXT (not that I'm mourning FXT mind you!)

Of course, XP64 is not supported so perhaps all the above is due to that..

Brett

• I was using Kontakt 3.5 and Superior 2. And I am not preserving instance, it's loading up when loading a Nuendo project.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

OK, I can repro your crash here. I obviously never worked that way before....!

It's good to know I'm not crazy!

You have me intrigued though...How do you work?  Do you load the metaframe first?  Are you always 'preserved'? How do you avoid the crash?

Easy. I don't usually use the 32bit server. [;)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Animus said:

And I am not preserving instance, it's loading up when loading a Nuendo project.

Likewise

[quote=Animus] Easy. I don't usually use the 32bit server.

That would do it!