Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,397 users have contributed to 42,225 threads and 254,779 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@plowman said:

"Another option is G-Player from soundlib.  I am using it for MAC and it works perfectly."

This is the first feedback I've heard on G-Player. I'd be skeptical of it, but it came from M2B, and he is thorough when he chases down tech issues. 

Jaded as I am, I'm amazed that Giga, a natively PC platform, OS X on a Mac, Logic 9.0.1 VE Pro, and G-Player can all just get along. I outsourced Giga for several years on a PC with a simple MIDI cable and a stereo out. So the idea of folding it into a Mac is appealing. And I am not alone. Most of us were driving both platforms one way or another back when VSL was a native Giga / EXS format. 

M2B, have you been able to play Giga legato instruments using VSL's mapper through G-Player within VE Pro? Does G-Player have a MIDI interpreter of its own to handle VSL legato instruments? Giga had its own MIDI mapper, as I recall, but I don't think it was linked to VSL's proprietary mapping. 

Thanks Plowman for the compliments.  So far with Logic 8.0.2 and Logic 9 G-Player is performing with zero hiccups at all.  It sounds to me like you own the older libraries.  This could be very valuable information for some.  If you go to soundlib.com and download the demo (it's very small) I wonder if it will work for you.  It really reminds me more of GVI then Gigastudio because it's very lean and more of a VST plug then a true "powerhouse gigastudio editor/player".  It doesn't like some of my gigapulse files but in honesty I don't care.  Between space designer and soon to be MIR, I won't even need the reverb responses.  Just being able to play the samples correctly was worth the 130 dollars.

Now all they need to do is finish up the windows version (I suspect they are waiting on Windows 7, if they were smart they would) and I will be able to host all my giga's on both platforms, without having to be a hack, convert files or using opensourced software.  The other thing is i have worked with them for months now helping the work things out.  They have taken a lot of my old gigastudio ideas and implemented them.  The point is, if you want something in it they have a support number and you can call in/email them and tell them exactly how you used Gigastudio and what's missing and they will look at putting it in.  They seemed open with me on this so far.

I tried using convertors and importing into EXS24 and I can tell you that EXS doesn't even come close to the proper conversion compared to loading up this 130 dollar software and instantly you're working on your old samples the way they did in gigastudio.  It's just not worth the months I spent importing/converting to get only subpar results and to much wasted energy.  You should give the demo a shot and see how it works for you.  I tested it on Snow Leopard and regular Leopard and it worked on both with Logic 8 and 9.

Maestro2be

•  I’m looking forward to a PC version of Q-Sampler…

I’ve just been playing around listening to the same GS patches played on GS, Kontakt, Samplelord and LinuxSampler.  My conclusion is that nothing sounds even remotely as good as GigaSampler.

My test subjects were Dan Dean solo strings and Diva.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

@cgernaey said:

Can you tell me what samples you were using I might own them.  And how were you doing the crossfading?  I will try it for you if possible.

Oh and one more thing.  The demo they offer is the EXACT same thing as my full version except every 10-15 seconds it drops the volume about 80% and then back up.  So you can always download the demo, and keep trying it until it works for you but be aware that in the middle of your playing the volume will almost mute and grow, then mute and grow ever 15 seconds or so.

I was having problems on any patches that use modwheel crossfades (I think I was using VOTA). In any case, no need to check as I thought I'd download the demo to try it again. They have indeed fixed the problem!

Thanks for your kind offer though. Happy composing!

M

• No problem.  I in fact own VOTA myself so I know it indeed does work.

Maestro2be