Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• network optimization

hey, i've noticed that i get hickups on my network when i use more then 4 stereo channels. i've set my buffer to 2 times and my soundcard buffer is 512 (i think.. 12ms at 48k) and i still get occasional hickups. any tips for optimizing the network settings? 1 computer has the onboard gigabit of an asus p5b the other one of an asus p5q pro.. they're going through a sweex gigabit switch, i don't know what chipset it has. i've set jumbo frames to 7k. a strange thing: my computer seems to do a hard reboot sometimes when i quit cubase after using VEpro. Maybe this has something to do with the hickups?

• Maybe this is a silly answer - but have you checked if the connection speed is really 1 GBit? I ask because sometimes you only have 100 MBit although on both network interfaces you have defined 1 Gbit.

• at least it says the connection that's open is 1gb... when you get 100mb does it say 100mb also, or does it say 1gb?

• i just checked, orange lights on my switch means it's 1gb.. they're orange. This switch is about 4 years old i think though. Could it just be too old? (it was one of the earlier less then 100 euro gigabit switches)

• In the LAN-Status windows you can check your actual connection speed. If this is 1 GBit, everything is alright.

• ah ok... it says 1gb there.. i'm going to try another intel based gb card i have laying around in stead of the standard realtek one on the p5b.. maybe that helps..

• I've linked my old G5 to my new macpro with just a single cheap network cable. ethernet works but how can I see in osx whether its realy a gigabit connection?

thanks

dan

• if windows says it's a gbit than the mac is too, or are you using 2 macs? *edit* i missed you're using a macpro and a g5.. i don't know how you can check, i hardly use os/x myself. anyway.. i seem to have "fixed" my problem by using a crosslink cable so the switch isn't fast enough. what switchers are other people using? the normal 3com/d-link/netgear switches of around 80 euros?

• Just connect the network cables and then go to Utilities --> Network Utility.  Select the correct interface in the drop down and this window will show you all the details of the connection.

Maestro2be

• last edited
    last edited

@jvdieks said:

if windows says it's a gbit than the mac is too, or are you using 2 macs? *edit* i missed you're using a macpro and a g5.. i don't know how you can check, i hardly use os/x myself. anyway.. i seem to have "fixed" my problem by using a crosslink cable so the switch isn't fast enough. what switchers are other people using? the normal 3com/d-link/netgear switches of around 80 euros?

In the old days of using FXT I found that onboard LAN was not up to much (causing huge DPC), and am still of that opinion. Putting an Intel Desktop Network card solved those problems for me.

As far as the cable is concerned, I would always use a crossover cable when there are only two machines in the network. As far as a switch, I can't remember what I used to use. I do know that people using a hub, rather than a switch , had problems though.

DG

• You don't need a crossover cable with Gigabit btw, the standard was revised since the 100MBit days, so any (straight) patch cable will do.

• thanks for the info all...@MS: what switches do you recommand? the thing is that i've got it working now, but i've got a NAS running also that i want to be accessable to both computers so if i could get it running without any problems on a switch it would be better..

• I would strongly recommend to keep your NAS separated from the VE Pro network. Physically separated.

Regarding switches, depending on your needs - keep it simple. The Netgear GS108/GS116 are stable performers.

• thanks..

• regarding routers:

many have loud fans that exhibit a high pitched note.

I found a fanless Gb switch:

Netgear GS105. A 5 port switch. I run it on the secondary Ethernet ports on my Macs, leaving another switch attached to the primary ethernet ports for video streaming et al.