Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,589 users have contributed to 42,242 threads and 254,861 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• PLEASE tell me that it will host on a PPC!!! My host is a G5...this would be devastating if it doesn't (I suddenly am feeling a bit nauseous)

• Brian, I think the 'Woodwinds Ensemble' is the ensembles in the Woodwinds I collection.

• I planned to buy a new Mac Pro as a VE slave, but to keep the sequencer (DP 5.13) on my good old G5 quad, so I'd GREATLY appreciate that the *host* plugin still runs on PPC. Please, please, please...

• Indeed .. I would also love to have VE Pro available to my G5. As I said in another post .. the chance to be able to host my aging EW library and VSL together would be great. Since I can't use the EW on my new Intel Macs.

Surely the G5 can't be so bad. It was rated as an extremely powerful chip at one point. It's even a 64 bit chip !!! Would be nice to make some more use out of this. especially with the VSL.

• I think there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE out there who bought a new mac pro during the last year and who now want to use their "old" G5 PPC (mine is a dual core after all) as a vienna and 3rd party plug in slave. so PLEASE consider making this update not "intel-only"!!! I think it would pay off!  there was also no info about this on the VE-Pro Preview page. that's why i bought the "VE 3" two weeks ago. it would be a huge disappointment!!

by the way: i bought every single instrument/library you released (except the new vienna imperial and solo strings 2)!!!

• Hhmm, would it be possible to run VE 3 on my slave G5 (as I do today) and VE PRO on my MacPro? Or does the upgrade to VE PRO overwrite the VE 3 on the Mac Pro?

/Thomas

• last edited
    last edited

@fs_18397 said:

I think there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE out there who [...] want to use their "old" G5 PPC [...] as a vienna and 3rd party plug in slave. 

I doubt so, it makes a lot more sense to use a G5 dinosaur as the main DAW and a modern Intel computer as a slave for virtual instruments. Normally the virtual instruments need much more RAM and CPU than the sequencer.

I for myself would like to continue using my old G5 (Digital Performer 5.13 and Mac OS X 10.4.11, a very stable combination) as the main DAW and use a Mac Pro as a VE Pro slave. I suspect lots of people are in a similar situation. So it would make sense to only make the tiny plugin that connects to VE Pro PPC-compatible.

Pitt

• last edited
    last edited

@fs_18397 said:

I think there are also A LOT OF PEOPLE out there who [...] want to use their "old" G5 PPC [...] as a vienna and 3rd party plug in slave. 

I doubt so, it makes a lot more sense to use a G5 dinosaur as the main DAW and a modern Intel computer as a slave for virtual instruments. Normally the virtual instruments need much more RAM and CPU than the sequencer.

I for myself would like to continue using my old G5 (Digital Performer 5.13 and Mac OS X 10.4.11, a very stable combination) as the main DAW and use a Mac Pro as a VE Pro slave. I suspect lots of people are in a similar situation. So it would make sense to only make the tiny plugin that connects to VE Pro PPC-compatible.

Pitt

Let me put it this way: i KNOW a lot of composers doing major film projects who work the way i described. especially if you want to work with logic 9 (intel only) in the future. I don't want to argue with you. i just want the guys at vsl to develop their software the "right" way. so please don't interfere with my comment! no offense!

• Please!! VE 3 Pro to run as a host on my G5 PPC ....

Only as a HOST. I have one PC as slave.

Possible????

• Well I'm not an expert by any means but on the product page for VE Pro it says that the requirements apply to the slave machine, not the host. So - it may well be possible that you can host from a G5. Perhaps someone from VSL can confirm?

M

• Well I have just finished testing the 2 x 1U PC Slaves built for streaming, 8GB's each for stability's sake as these are live performance streamers that use hardware effects and won't be clogging up the pipes with IR's, and other time based effects.

Another 4U PC is the main DAW and I will be using VE Pro to link all 3 of these together. The mixing and all processing will be done in the 1U XITE-1 DSP rack.

I will get the Epic Orchestra version as I believe a company should be supported for bringing us such a great and long awaited product.

Hat's Off To VSL...

• last edited
    last edited

@gerdkaeding_31947 said:

It would be great if VSL could release at least one VE Pro-Host version for PPC ,

even if this version won't get any major update in the future .

Hi Gerd ! One more vote to VE 3 PRO PPC host  version .

Regards

• I add my vote to make VE-Pro G5 compatible. My main machine is an intel 8-core, but on big orchestral projects I was using the old G5 as a slave using VE3... but it was a pain to have the samples reload everytime you swap cues, so the main feature from VE-Pro I am after on the G5 is the preserve feature which has been promised for the past 2 years, I think. So, even if you can't make VE-Pro PPC compatible, it would be worthwhile just to add that feature to the PPC version. having said that, the other features of VE-Pro would be good on the G5 too. Please think again about this, VSL.

Thanks,

David

• last edited
    last edited

@jotaresende said:

Hi Gerd ! One more vote to VE 3 PRO PPC host  version .

Regards

me too

best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Another PPC vote from me. My G5's gathering dust and gagging for a purpose in life.

• Hello,

Since I originated this thread with a few questions brought to mind from the newsletter, here is one more pertinent question regarding the careful wording of the announcement.

Does VE Pro work with Play?

Collaterally, if it is not officially recognized as ‘supported by VSL’ would that mean that it doesn’t work at all or just that you can’t vouch for its stability?

Many of us are in the process of creating new hardware and software systems to accommodate the imminent arrival of VE Pro and this is necessary information.

Thanks

• Yes! Good question! I also would like to know if it works with EW PLAY!

As for PPC compatibility, I think we need to draw a line somewhere... producing symphonic music is really a task that is highly demanding regarding hardware. I don't see many people seriously producing orchestral music with just a PPC system. Prove me wrong but I think most serious users have already found it necessary to move on to the intel platform...

• last edited
    last edited

@Crescendo said:

As for PPC compatibility, I think we need to draw a line somewhere... producing symphonic music is really a task that is highly demanding regarding hardware. I don't see many people seriously producing orchestral music with just a PPC system. Prove me wrong but I think most serious users have already found it necessary to move on to the intel platform...

Not really sure what you do, Cresendo but I can assure you that there are many people out there that are still using a PPC in their systems. "Serious users," as you put it, usually have more than one computer in their system and those other computers are usually Intels - but there maybe a maxed out PPC that still has it's place in the set-up. I know it does with mine and my other Intels. It would be great to be able to use that G5PPC in addition and not a "door stop."

Sorry I went on a rant, but sometimes arrogance really needs to be addressed.

• last edited
    last edited

@rpmusic said:

Serious users," as you put it, usually have more than one computer in their system and those other computers are usually Intels - but there maybe a maxed out PPC that still has it's place in the set-up. I know it does with mine and my other Intels. It would be great to be able to use that G5PPC in addition and not a "door stop."

Sorry I went on a rant, and I but sometimes arrogance really needs to be addressed.

Hi Rob!

I agree with you.

I am using my G5 2.0 as Master( DP 5.13) and one Intel PC Core 2 Quad.

My G5 has it;s place in my set up .  One more thing..... the price for a new Mac Intel here in Brazil,

it's almost three times the list price. Very expensive.

I will be using my G5 for some time.

Best regards!

• last edited
    last edited

@Crescendo said:

Not really sure what you do, Cresendo but I can assure you that there are many people out there that are still using a PPC in their systems. "Serious users," as you put it, usually have more than one computer in their system and those other computers are usually Intels - but there maybe a maxed out PPC that still has it's place in the set-up. I know it does with mine and my other Intels. It would be great to be able to use that G5PPC in addition and not a "door stop."

Sorry I went on a rant, and I but sometimes arrogance really needs to be addressed.

I have to agree. I make a full time living scoring feature films, so I think that would qualify me as a "serious" user.  While my main DAW is an intel 8 core, I have 6 farms of various makes and OS's. One of them is my old G5. While I generally don't use it for heavy CPU type stuff, I do use it for lots of percussion. It still serves me well, day in and day out. 

Also, I might add that I would have liked to see VE Pro able to work with Tiger as well. Many of us are not using Leopard - for many valid reasons. It's just not all the way 100% ready to handle all the various plugs and apps that many of us have to deal with. Tiger is solid and will still be the main OS in a lot of studios for some time to come.

Other than having it on a separate boot drive to run occasional smaller sessions on, I've held off on Leopard for my main working DAW OS. And, I can't see that I'll be moving to it full time anytime soon. Maybe some time next year if, and that's a big fat IF, all the developers get all the apps that I use functioning well in Leopard. 

That's going to affect a lot of potential VE Pro users as well. 

VSL informed me that VE Pro might work on Tiger, but they won't officially support it. I would like to see it be supported, at least for another 6 months or so.