Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• I listed my libraries on the previous page, but that string stuff at 5:03 has a lot of the Symphobia staccato strings on it.  They have this pre-built patch, called Blockbuster, which I just turned off every layer but the strings, disabled the "octaver" on it, and use that as a layer with my usual stacc strings.  Cuts through pretty well...

_Mike

• Great production Mike.   Also very nice idea on the 'blockbuster' multi.   Thanks for sharing.   I have also really liked the Chamber spiccs doubled with it as well (when extra definition is needed.)

All the best,

• Yes very nice production indeed - very clean. Your original voice is coming through more. Sure there's lots of familiar territory but your well on your way to your own unique style. Really just a matter of choice with all that talent.

Some very lovely stuff in there.

•  Sounds amazing!

Best,

Jay

• Hi Mike,

thank you for answering my question regarding the libraries used [:D]

best,

Steve[:D]

• No problem; and thanks, everyone for the kind words!

_Mike

• last edited
    last edited

@mverta said:

Yes, that's my sound :)  Surely you've noticed by now, inasmuch as you've pasted that comment into every thread I've ever started 😊

What do you mean, watch the trumpet? In what way?

_Mike

What do I mean? I mean it sounds very good - soundwise it's a great production - as you're a Yank I'll rephrase that - it's a marvelous fantastic piece of work productionwise. How's that?

Apart from that it's totally derivative and the brass sections almost sound out of tune at times. The strings sound like John Williams orchestrations and so do some of the brass lines. I know 10 guys here that can turn out JW for adverts like this all the time so you'll forgive me for being slightly jaded.  ðŸ˜‰

It sounds like you just O'D on Close Encounters or something.

• It should probably go without saying that the "John Williams" sound is no more the John Williams sound than mine is, as even a cursory examination of his (and my) influences should make abundantly clear.

But that being said anyway, what sets JW apart is not his orchestration; it's his use of cohesive symphonic structure within the context of film cues; two things which are almost always mutually exclusive. If you know 10 guys here who can do that, tell them to step up and take their rightful places as the new top-call guys, because as of yet, that's an ability almost totally absent from the landscape.

I'm sure you only come across like you've got an ax to grind due to some sort of internet thing.  Nonetheless, I don't expect you'll be hearing anything different, musically, from me, anytime soon.  Especially inasmuch as any comparison to JW makes me giddy as a schoolgirl.

_Mike

•  These cues sound really good.  

I agree about Williams - he is probably the greatest since Herrmann, Goldsmith and Korngold.   Also he does a full tilt symphonic development as you say within a film context to a fantastic degree.  E. T. for example is like a symphony combined with a movie, and Spielberg gave Williams full reign to develop it.  That's true about Williams having direct influences from many orchestral composers - something impossible to avoid in this day and age - , and some people have tried to say he was plagiaristic because of it but he is not.  He is truly original with his own style and themes that are instantly recognizable. 

Anyway, you don't have to worry about whether you are copying somebody if you truly love what you are doing.  Your own style will come through all by itself. 

• ...well that's the thing: I bristle at this idea that anyone can just "do a Williams" thing.  That's ridiculous; everyone I've heard who set out to do that failed, usually because while they might understand the orchestrational approach, that doesn't magically imbue them with the symphonic sensibilities.  They sound like people doing JW who don't actually understand what he's doing.  Bad impressions.

Having just written 84 mintues of score in 5 weeks, I can attest to having zero time to second-guess or attempt to do anything compositionally other than get the cues done, and right now. If someone says to you, "Do what you do, right now, and don't think about it because there is no time," and it's internally cohesive and competent, then it's a pretty safe bet what's coming out is you.  It's your first instinct, your comfort zone, that which you've internalized, that which you understand, can control, and have mastered.  Nothing's worse than deliberately trying to do something you wouldn't actually do, to sound like somebody else (or not sound like somebody).  Personal style is always in there, and over time, takes many forks and roads; you don't have to force it and you don't have to sweat it.

As I look down at the pile of reference scores I cracked open from time to time on this score, which are still on the floor, I notice the usual suspects: Ravel, Schumann, Barber, Holst, Penderecki, and no Williams.  But that's where "Williams" lies, in all ways, anyways.  It's an amalgum.

_Mike

• last edited
    last edited

@mverta said:

I'm sure you only come across like you've got an ax to grind due to some sort of internet thing.  

_Mike

Here come the axe - you_are_wasting_your_talent copying John Williams. The start of your piece is obviously Close Encounters - were you even alive when that film came out? Why are you bothering to waste time with an obvious talent for production techniques using samples - copying?

If I had your production skills and knowledge of orchestral music - I would seriously be out there at your age (30's?) trying to be original from minute one. You will never be John Williams - no one will - it's all been done already by JW so_forget_it. No one in the business gives ashit whether the influences in a piece of music include Benderbollocks or anyone else. They will just say - it sounds like JW - which is maybe what they'll want or not want. Probably mostly not these days.

Do something original. I won't comment on your work in future if that makes you happy. Makes no odds to me one way or the other. Be original.

• John Williams isn't exactly original, if you know the repertoire.  I'm curious who you think has managed to redefine this style of music in the last 100 years?

In any case - and this will probably bother you to no end - 95% of work comes to me BECAUSE of my sound, not in spite of it.  I find it interesting you keep mentioning CE3K, because I honestly have never seen that film end-to-end (it feels really boring to me) and I don't own the score in any form.  There are a few JW scores I was just never motivated to seek out, that's one of them, 1941 is another, I hated Catch Me if You Can, and if memory serves, Seven Years in Tibet was a giant WTF for me.  But I'm so curious now I have to go get it.

I'm also very curious to hear your original music.  Which I'm assuming has no Williams in it, and thus none of his influences.  I'm not 100% sure what that leaves behind, but I'm dying to hear it!

_Mike

• Believe me - you're 10 time better than I am. I play Bach on the harpsichord for fun. I don't make the kind of money I like to make from music - I'm really a trader most of the time with private clients money - and my own. Music is an interest and I like listening to other people's music a great deal more than any of mine.

It bothers me in the sense that this is a typical inditement of filmscore music today - derivative. Your music SOUNDS great - apart from some brass which stinks on ice (soundwise). I suspect I have slightly better monitors than you do. It however pleases me to learn that you are making money from doing this music because someone wants it and you obviously enjoy doing this 'style'.

Yes - funnily enough I agree with you on Close Encounters - boring and twee a lot of the time.

Heheheh

• Monitors-wise, I primarily use B&W 800D's.

_Mike

• Close Encounters is probably the most underestimated of Williams' scores, probably because it is one of his most cinematic (in that the music is not as prominent an effect as in Star Wars, Jaws, ET, etc.). I did enjoy the Stravinskyesque "Catch me if you can" - in how effective Williams was with reduced instrumentation and rhythmic effects. Apparently he enjoyed it too, a break from his usual blaring brass armies and whirling strings.

• last edited
    last edited

@mverta said:

I'm also very curious to hear your original music.  Which I'm assuming has no Williams in it, and thus none of his influences.  I'm not 100% sure what that leaves behind, but I'm dying to hear it!

Well his music is right there in the VSL demos.  It doesn't have any John Williams whatsoever, as the insufferable Limey Robbins was around in music before John Williams was known for film scoring.  Like me.  Though my music probably sounds something like John Williams because I steal from the same composers he steals from.   Just joking.  I don't actually steal, though I cannot help being influenced. 

Now if you want to talk about stealing, don't even get me started on James Horner. There is an example of somebody consciously, calculatingly, deliberately and coldly lifting from every composer from Robert Schumann to Charles Ives.

• John Williams: a lot of blaring and whirling.

Not an entirely fair characterization, but not entirely unfair, either.  :)  My favorite small-group score of his is Witches of Eastwick, hands-down.  Manuel de Falla-like in its effectiveness with a small ensemble.

And yes, Horner's theivery is shameless and well-documented.  Not that it seems to matter; in the short term anyway.

_Mike

• Don't forget who Charles Ives influenced strongly either.

I'm out of here because I have to practice my archery at least twice a week and don't have anymore time.

• Paul, you never said which monitors you are using... :)

Henrik

• Awesome music Mike.  I read one of your older threads on the star trek mockup and was wondering if your still using the same reverb settings?  It seems like everyone is always raving about Todd AO but you seem to be using other scoring stages and using different ones for each section.  I was wondering if you could tell me in more detail how you set your reverb for Captial City for each section?