Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,736 users have contributed to 42,314 threads and 255,147 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 8 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

I believe it slices carrots as well. MIR-O-Matic.
    ... makes coffee, walks with the dog ;-)

the DARK FORCE is shining pretty bright at the moment with W7 and for me (who doesn't care about aqua or aero or any of those other whistles and bells obstructing the surfaces) there is just a minimal difference left between both worlds.

on the contrary: currently i'm finding it much easier to get a downsized and reliable 64bit working horse out of a windows system at ~30% less money (say based on a 8-core nehalem 2.66 24 GB RAM), of course some learning curve left for those not already familiar with the respective other system.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Ok Guys, MIR's workflow is totally different from what I expected, and it's gonna cost much more, but I'm gonna end up buying it anyway. I am not very well knowledged in graphics cards stuff. Can someone guide me a little here please? The other components are quite clear, but I am a little confused on what type of features should the graphics card must have for a smooth performance. thanks

• no black magic with the grafic card - just don't use an outdated model ... every PCEe x16 model (say ATI 1950 or better, every nvidia 9000 series) ... IMO the only question is if to get a passive (cooled) one or not ...

christian

• last edited
    last edited

Are there any minimum or recomended requirements though? Regarding the GPU clock speed and memory?

@cm said:

IMO the only question is if to get a passive (cooled) one or not ...

You mean if the card has an onboard cooling fan or something?

I'm checking this one out;

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9500gt_us.html

• nice card, supports directX10 + openGL 2.1 (as needed), available with 256 or 512 MB RAM - one of our betatesters has it too.

use latest geforce drivers though (not windows built-in)

christian

• Congrats to VSL on the newborn (to us. I guess MIR is already five years old to you.)

Is MIR feasible on an Intel Mac running Boot Camp / Parallels with Windows 7 software? 

• :-) Thanks!

Actually it`s (almost) new-born to us, too, but then we should call it "Version 3" rather than V.1 ... 8-]

One of the Beta testers had MIR running and working on Bootcamp and reported ok-ish results. (Ron, would you please recapitulate your findings ...? TIA!)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

hearing distance change..this what i am lookinf for audio-post , mixing dialog,FX,ambiance or foley with MIR sound great and on the

top we always need to mix musicians stems so MIR would be a great tool but the post world use mainly ProTools on a Mac so it would

be a good move to target that big market !

regards

DaN

@DG said:

Actually it's not just a reverb. It will host all your VSL samples,

To me the really groundbreaking thing about MIR is that it creates real depth in terms of instrument positioning....You really get a 3D impression of an orchestra playing, if you move around an instrument on the stage in a MIR setting, it will not only move left or right in terms of speaker position, but you hear distances change... hard to describe.... but the stunning thing is complete realism of the actual change of timbre you get when moving around an istrument on the virtual stage...

It is just amazing....

• last edited
    last edited

@danieltoussaint said:

hearing distance change..this what i am lookinf for audio-post , mixing dialog,FX,ambiance or foley with MIR [...]

... let`s see what the future brings ... [H]

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

One of the Beta testers had MIR running and working on Bootcamp and reported ok-ish results. (Ron, would you please recapitulate your findings ...? TIA!)

Dietz, my pleasure:

Folks, one of my test systems was an early 2008 Mac Pro octocore 3.2 ghz with 32 gigs of ram, running Windows 7 and an RME Fireface 800, cubase 5.0.1 is running on the same computer.  This system is certainly no slouch, but is a generation old.

My findings were as follows:

Buffer 128 is not really a viable option for more than a hanful of instruments.  At buffer 512, I can run roughly 15-18 instruments at approximately 75% cpu consumption before clicks and pops begin (all perf-legato patches for these testing purposes).  I can basically double that at 1024.  Buffer set at x2.  Keep in mind, however, that at 1024 w/ x2 buffer, there is some latencty.  It's actually a fairly viable MIR solution for smallish-medium orchestrations, but don't expect to mockup Mahler 😉. Also, MIR's buffer should be set at x2 or above.

If someone were planning to use this kind of rig for MIR, I would definitely recommend having the Sequencer on another computer.

I'm happy to answer any questions about this kind of setup.

Best,

-Ron

•  I am using Matrox Parhelia APVe graphic cards which are PCIe x16 but all I can find is that they support "DirectX / OpenGL" but not DirectX 10 specifically, so I guess that they only support DirectX 9. Seems I have to buy new graphic cards???

• in the gigastudio times i loved the millennium cards for their economical drivers and used them up to the P650 model - later we had to switch to ATI because the matrox openGL implementation was very poor ....

the Parhelia APVe has also *only* 128 MB of a somehow slow memory - i'd say give it a try at least, but since matrox doesn't mention the directX and openGL versions i'd suspect support for both beeing limited ...

christian

• Thanks. I just wanted to ensure that MIR, at the time of installation or start-up, will not come up with a message like: "The graphics adapter you are using does not meet the requirements of this software. [Quit]"

• hehe - maybe a good idea to get that implemented ;-) - however the installer comes up with a message *your operating system is not supportet* if you're not running VISTA or WINDOWS 7 64bit

christian

• Are there going to be any audio demonstrations soon? They're pretty important.

• Yes, there will be a few more in the near future. Nevertheless, I think the actual demo-version will be the best way to get a real impression of what MIR is able to do - and how.

• Awwww .. such a shame that us Mac users miss out. Oh well .. I'm still quite happy with the Vienna Convolution Reverb .. guess I'm going to have to be happy with it for a while huh :P

Just gonna have to pray for that big film project so I can afford to buy a PC that can run MIR. hehe .. I reckon you'll have the Mac version done before I get such a film.

• So I assume that MIR is also able to transfer midi and audio thru ethernet like the VE?

• the current version of MIR is a stand-alone application - it awaits MIDI and outputs audio to an ASIO compatible soundcard.

however you can feed MIDI over network (MoL, LoopBe, ect) and route back audio eg. over ADAT

christian

• It may be worth testing with a combination of MOL and AudioPort, in case this turns out to be a viable solution for people. It would certainly save them having to buy soundcards for the MIR machine.

DG