Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• Questions regarding VE 3

Hi to the forum,

Tax return time and I am trying to see what my best options are here. I have 2 gigs of ram on my pc, and core 2 duo, and I really feel that I would like more ram. However, my motherboard will not support it.

I could build a new computer, with 62 bit on them, and put in heaps of ram, but I am worried that it could be quite expensive.

Not knowing enough about VE 3, and the slave computer ideas, is it possible to set up a slave computer with a 64 bit system on it, with say 8 gigs of ram, and them have it sending all the Vienna Instrument samples to my Windows XP computer with 2 gigs of ram?

Or, because the slave would be 64 bit,  and my windows machine is not a 64 bit set up, would that mean that the two systems are incompatible and it would not work

thanks if anyone can help me out here with some info.

best,

Steve

•  VE3 doesn't care about on what OS the other computer is running .... OS X, XP, Vista, 32bit, 64bit .... your network is the connection.

in another post i have shown proof that you can build a slave computer (i7 920, 6 GB RAM) for USD 1.000.-

hth, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Hi Christian,

thanks for the info. I'll mention that to the guy who I have talked to about building one for me.

best,

Steve[:D]

• Hi again,

I have an inquiry here - and this question is hard to put into words  - lets say I am running VE3 on the slave computer. I have 8 gigs of ram on it, and lets say, with one score I am only using 4 gigs up in the slave computer -and I am using say, Sibelius 5 on my main computer [which only has 2 gigs maximum]. Now  this information that is streaming from the slave disk that is using 4 gigs of ram, that should in no way bother my main pc's  2 gigs  of ram at all would it?

I mean, the main pc is only receiving information and processing it through reverb plug ins etc on my main pc, and even though the amount of samples coming from the slave computer, is using up to more than 2 gigs on the slave, the fact that my main pc can only handle 2 gigs of ram, that information that is  coming from the slave does not use up any of my ram on the main computer does it?

In other words, if the slave is streaming samples that are using 4 gigs of ram [or more], and I am playing this amount of samples through my main PC which only has 2 gigs or ram, this is not going to tax my main pc at all?

I am guessing that it should not,  but I just want to check first.

Also, with the slave computer, will it make much more difference that instead of having a core 2 duo, that I get one of the quad core ones?

Also, how many hard drives should you have on the slave? Someone mentioned to me when discussing this,  about having 2 large 500 gig drives, but joined together, by "fire wiring" [I think that was the term he said] the two hard drives together. Is it possible to have more than 2 hard drives attached to the slave computer for samples?

Also, another thing - latency. If I am playing Vienna Instruments through my midi keyboard which is connected to my main pc - and the sounds are getting triggered through VE3 on the slave that is ethernet joined to my main one - is there going to be a latency problem at all - due to the midi messages being triggered from my controller keyboard, then the midi messages having to go from the main computer to the slave computer, and then the sounds coming back from the slave to the main pc - is this going to be a problem?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

best,

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Steve,

your assumptions are correct. The samples you load on your slave machine do not affect the RAM on your master machine at all.

You can always check that with the free demo license for VE 3.

CPU: Of course a Quadcore processor (with the same CPU speed) will deliver better performance. The best processors on the market for music production are i7 processors, but you have been following the discussion here...

Number of harddrives: Up to you. We´re working with one system drive and 1 additional 1 TB drive, connected via sATA. It might be that your friend referred to RAID.... firewire is much slower than internal sATA.

Latency: You can adjust the "network latency", so that you can play with the latency of the audio driver on your master machine.

We have applied dynamic latency compensation to Vienna Ensemble. This means that your sequencer will
    automatically adapt to the chosen buffer settings of your Vienna Ensemble Server Interface plug-in.
    • Setting the Buffer slider to “x0” will synchronize Vienna Ensemble with your soundcard, so that no
    latency is added – while very good for recording percussive sounds, this also adds a lot of strain to
    the CPU.
    • Setting the Buffer slider to “x1” will add one buffer to your soundcard latency. If your soundcard
    latency is, e.g., 256 Samples, your latency when playing live will be 512 samples.
    • Setting the Buffer slider to “x2” will add 2 buffers to your soundcard latency. If your soundcard
    latency is, e.g., 256 Samples, your latency when playing live will be 768 samples.

Of course it´s best to try out the demo of Vienna Ensemble 3 with your setup, so that you know what you get!

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  •  Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer. That really has cleared a lot of questions I had in mind about this.

Thanks again for your help!

best regards,

Steve[:D]