Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,762 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,922 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Mir Timing

last edited
    last edited

Hi

I've been on the verge of buying a new i7 system for the last couple of weeks, exclusively to run Mir which is due for release Q2 09 (which is this month I guess).

Given that beta-testing hasn't started yet, and I'm guessing is likely to run for 2-3 months, I'm wondering if it might make more sense to defer investment in hardware until we have a confirmed release date.

I just wondered if this kind of time scale makes general sense, as I'm reluctant to have a new system gathering dust for too long.

Apologies if this comes across as a veiled "when will it be ready?" post. I'm extremely excited about the potential of Mir, have a sytem spec lined up and configured and almost pulled the trigger yesterday before spotting the 'call for beta-testing' thread.

Many thanks for any feedback

Jules

htttp://www.trailermen.com

• Thanks for your interest, Jules. Highly appreciated. "Q2" will have 4 months this year, I guess. :-)

MIR Beta Testing is running at full pace at the moment (you may have noticed that the actual call for participants has been taken off the forum already; what you see was most likely the "discussion"-thread). Neverthless, it could be a wise step to wait with any hardware decision for the actual announcement. It might be that we will be able to give prospective MIR users good advice what hardware is the most recommended one by then.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Thanks for your interest, Jules. Highly appreciated. "Q2" will have 4 months this year, I guess. 😊

Hi Dietz, and thanks for your response

That comment makes me think it may be more imminent than I had thought - that 4th month isn't far away!

Perhaps as release gets closer, you could keep a sticky 'Mir Hardware' thread, so that we know what specs apear to be performing best.   I was intending to just go for the fastest i7 available on an X58 motherboard with probably 12GB Ram and Vista 64bit Ultimate, but you guys may have some specs that are behaving better than others.

Thanks again, and good luck with the testing.

Jules

• Hi Jules,

that "sticky MIR Hardware"-thread is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind. Thank's a lot!

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library