Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,762 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,922 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• VSL server keeps crashing

Hello

I use VSL SE in Logic 8 on a Intel Macpro 8 core 13 GB updated to the latest updates.

VE is build 3452

In Logic as soon I want to edit a VSL instrument in the VI window the VSL server is crashing !!

any idea to fix this problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  • More news

Now I have a message when I load the song :

Logic Pro :

Failed to load audio unit, please contact the

manufacturer for an updated version or further

assistance

(-10110)

Looking at VSL server it uses 2.89 Gb of real memory and 3.87 GB of virtual memory

I have suppress one VI and re-created it, same !!!  the VSL server is crashing

HELP !!

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  • Hi Cyril,

Please remember the limit of max. 2.8 GB RAM that can be assigned to any application under the current MacOS 10.5.7! [;)]

You definetely exceeded this limit with your 2,89 GB of real memory .

But you could actually deinstantiate a couple of VIs in VE, insert instances of Vienna Instruments AU in your Arrangement and place the missing instruments in there - Vienna Instruments, as a different application, can use another 2,8 GB of RAM...

Best,

Marnix

• Hi Marnix

Many thanks for your answer, deleting VSL  instruments  did fixed the problem.

It will be great if you could you include a message "Memory is getting low...." and " no more memory "  like does Kontakt ?

What is strange is that I had this song playing with that environment, I deleted all the note, and import midi tracks ;  then the problems started !

Now I just need to wait for the 64bit VI [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Best 

Cyril

• unfortunately there is no method with OS X to reliably judge about the remaining available memory (all memory requests are handled through the OS) - all figures are more or less educated guesses (in most cases less) ... you get the point watching the amount of activity monitor's various memory types compared to the state of your work.

i.e. actually if 300 MB (of physical memory!) are reported to be available it is not quaranteed you can load another say 250 MB, on the other hand if there is memory allocated which can be paged out you might be able to load 400 MB ... but the application cannot *know* it, because all memory assigning is done by the OS

i'm expecting 64bit to take the edge off, but not solving the problem as such - just the point of surprise will be shifted into another region ....

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Christian

Thanks for your answer.

@cm said:

i.e. actually if 300 MB (of physical memory!) are reported to be available it is not quaranteed you can load another say 250 MB, on the other hand if there is memory allocated which can be paged out you might be able to load 400 MB ... but the application cannot *know* it, because all memory assigning is done by the OS

This is why you get a "Memory is getting low...." message in Kontakt, this helps and will avoid user to post messages [:)]

Also instead of crashing you could say "no more memory to load ....." if my memory is good the EXS and Kontakt are issuing this message 

Thanks in advance

Cyril

•  i understand what you are trying to say ... but here we usually deal with some 100 MB whereas kontakt usually has to deal with some MB ... just try to load the same amount of data (in one run) as with VI/VE

app to os: i need 250 MB memory, not to be paged out

os to app: is available, here is the starting address, go on punk

app to filesystem: read data from disk

app to OS: store data in memory

read - write - read- write - read - write - read - try to write - !no more memory addresses available - undefined condition -  crash!

similar thing happens in logic and you cannot say if it happens at 3, 3.2 or 3.5 GB used memory ... (application locks or gets unstable)

i'm sure the developers will try to iron out as much inconveniences as they can with the upcoming minor version update.

christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

i'm sure the developers will try to iron out as much inconveniences as they can with the upcoming minor version update.

christian

Hi Christian,

This is great, many thanks in advance.

Remembering my programming in Algol (a long time ago) we could place before routines an "On error  go to message" 

Logic before crashing is saving the song and is displaying a message !

Best

Cyril

P.S. I was loading 100MB in Kontakt loading the QLSO platinum library [;)]

•  algol ... i can't believe anybody can actually remember the name of this language ;-)

our coding wizards are by no means much deeper in it, but we might face a case here where such an error message doesn't even reach the VI and at least logic had to catch this - speculating, but the behaviour indicates that.

looking forward what the next versions will bring to us, christian

•  I own the Eastwest Symphonic Chiors package and I get the "Physical Memory Is Low Proceed With Caution" message all the time, even when I don't have anything else running.  I just ignore it and load up another three or four instances of choirs with my VSL stuff and haven't had a problem.  I think I would question putting in a message like that in any application because they seem to be unreliable to me.  It's like the red or yellow "Check Engine" warning light that comes on in your car.  You take it in to the mechanic to fix it and he just covers the light up with some black tape and then says, "that'll be $60.00 please." 

• last edited
    last edited

@jasensmith said:

just covers the light up with some black tape and then says

LOL - not 100% true for memory but also not wrong 😉

as posted above: numbers of free memory reported by the OS do not exactly apply in all situations, so our developers refused to present such a message from the very beginning of VI development ...

christian