Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Universal Mode

Can someone help me with universal mode?  I am using Chamber Strings, Special Edition, and Special Edition Plus, as well as a few of the download instruments.  The universal mode video tutorial begins with the universal matrix already loaded in, and I can't seem to find anything that says universal, or figure out how to load in a universal matrix.  I'm using Vienna Ensemble 2.

I'm using a Mac G5Quad 2.5ghz, with 16gigs of ram and 4 terabytes of hard drive space.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lendell

• One follow-up.  I found the universal mode for the Chamber Strings.  So now my question is; is there a universal mode matrix for the Special Edition PLUS, or for the extended single download instruments?

Thanks so much,

Lendell

• Hello Lendell,

the Universal Mode needs the advanced articulations that are available in the Extended Library of our "big" VI Collection only.

The Special Editions give you a great overview of all instruments with the essential articulations, but it doesn´t contain the fast legatos that are included with each Universal Mode.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  •  Hi,

I have thought about this too, especially when you have the full SE and SE PLUS. I can understand the lack of articulations in SE, but the whole idea of the PLUS package is to extend the articulations ammount of the SE package.

I have made some "Universal Mode" presets by mysef with the SE and SE PLUS library, but they are quite limited to a specific score / song.

It would anyway be very helpful with some presets from VSL (as a guidline) that are somehow "automatic" without the need of keyswitches for fast results.

As a SE user, I don't expect perfect orchestral replicas, better fast than perfect in my case.

Also, there would be very usefull with some kind of explanation of the articulations in real world language, when and for what to use them.

I have searched the whole VSL website and WiKi-pedia for these strange named patches, e.g. Sforzato, what does this mean? I have no clue, it sounds fantastic, but I have major issues to understand how and when I should use them.

Hard to explain, but maybe my example here can bring some clearity of what I mean and need:

Staccato - Fast short passages, normal playstyle

Sustain - Long evolving sound, looped, normal playstyle

Harm-Art Staccato - Painful sounding, advanced playstyle, not very common playstyle

BR,

Magnus

• Hi Magnus

The Plus package does increase the number of articulations quite considerably. Also you can use Velocity and Speed to change those artics without having to use keyswitches. A little bit of time spent on learning the interface will produce results.

As for the different artics, you have to choose which should be used, when and where, using your own ears as to whether it sounds right or not.

For the different meanings of the artics, a little more googling should help you find the meanings, but the best way to learn is just to play and listen to what they sound like. If it sounds right then it usually is.

Sforzato is "forced".  The initial contact between e.g bow and string, is strong and can be sustained if desired. Try everything out and experiment. 

All the best.

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Magnus,

there are a lot of ways to make use of the different articulations each instrument offers.

Our Vienna Academy section gives you a lot of useful information, from "Symbolism" and "Repertoire" to "Sound Characteristics" and "Sound Production" for different instruments.

Here´s more info about sforzato/sforzando, btw.

Regarding a "manual for articulations": You can also use staccatos in slow long passages....

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks for clearing that up, Paul.  I am enjoying using the universal mode with the Chamber Strings, and am working to really get a handle on all that VSL will do.  Like most composers, I'm constantly juggling priorities between hardware, outboard gear, and sample libraries.  But at some point, I will certainly be upgrading to the big libraries!

Thanks again,

Lendell

•  Hi,

I'm only do music on my sparetime, but when I do I want the best sounding instruments, that's why I bought Vienna.

It's much more fun when it sounds good!

I know I have to study the instrumental articulations terms, but the time is limited, as usual.

Maybe I have overpowered myself with Vienna, but in contrast to NI Kontakt 3, witch I bought first to get the hands on the VSL sounds, there is no competition in the software how you utilize the articulations in a user friendly way. Vienna is stunning!

Before I bought Kontakt 3, I got Miroslav philharmonic and garritan orchestra, so I have gone through the most orchestra libraries, and now recently I bought EastWest Quantum Leap stuff on their summer-sale, the StormDrums 2 complement the Vienna SE on the drum parts witch are rather poor in the SE product, and the PLUS package doesn't add any drums.

I have also bought NineVolts Audio Taiko drums 24bit, witch are totally gorgeous sounding and easy to use, only 2 midikeys.

Fits perfectly in the mix of Vienna and other (ReFX Nexus2) sounds.

I'm mostly do Trance and club music, but lately I have manage to do some nice orchestral themes and when you combine these two styles you get very intresting HQ results.

More educational videos are very velcome, I found the new expression maps for Cubase 5 very usefull.

But the Sustain expression was missing, and when I try to add it it will not function.

I have to look deeper into this.

BR,

Magnus