Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• VI memory optimization doesn't work well!

It seems to me, that memory optimization does not work properly. I have very complicated project. Many instruments, huge matrixes, so without memory optimization it simply can't work - I have not anough memory. I do an optimization exactly like it is recommended. Press LEARN, play the track and after - OPTIMIZE. But when I play it back, I hear, that some of the samples were "forgotten" or "lost" by VI! I press LEARN once more, play the problematic place and after that - OPTIMIZE again. Then I playback this place - the "lost" sample has returned. I save the project, but when I play it back later - I notice the same problem in the same place. Or it can be in another place - sometimes VI "loosing" another samples in another places - where it was working well before in the previous work sessions!

• last edited
    last edited

@Clapaucius said:

It seems to me, that memory optimization does not work properly. I have very complicated project. Many instruments, huge matrixes, so without memory optimization it simply can't work - I have not anough memory. I do an optimization exactly like it is recommended. Press LEARN, play the track and after - OPTIMIZE. But when I play it back, I hear, that some of the samples were "forgotten" or "lost" by VI! I press LEARN once more, play the problematic place and after that - OPTIMIZE again. Then I playback this place - the "lost" sample has returned. I save the project, but when I play it back later - I notice the same problem in the same place. Or it can be in another place - sometimes VI "loosing" another samples in another places - where it was working well before in the previous work sessions!

See my previous reply. Are you using OSX?

• What this - OSX? I have 2.8 QaudroCore processor, 4GB RAM (but I work on WindowsXP, so it is actually only 3GB working memory). Soundcard is Creamware Scope Project (Pulsar-II). Nuendo-2.

•  Finally you give some specs. [;)]

OK, now can you give some memory usage, for VE and Nuendo when the problem happens, unless it happens with only one patch.

Are you using the /3gig switch?

Do you have the latest updates for VE?

Have you tried it in another (supported) host, to make sure that it is not a Nuendo problem?

DG

• Hm, what do you mean "3gig switch"? Maybe, it's Nuendo problem, I can't check with another host, Nuendo2 is the only licenced host, that I have.

• last edited
    last edited

@Clapaucius said:

Hm, what do you mean "3gig switch"? Maybe, it's Nuendo problem, I can't check with another host, Nuendo2 is the only licenced host, that I have.

OK, if you don't know what it is, that answers my question. [:D]

Check the memory usage next.

If you want to try another sequencer, you can download Reaper.

DG

• I have had this happen - it sounds like you have repetition or alternate samples that are not the exact ones of the playback you optimized.  This can happen depending on when the playback stops relative to the alternate sample.   If you make sure that you are freezing or recording audio from a track from the same playback start and end point that it was optimized, it should play the same alternate samples that were optimized. 

• By the way, how can I zero alternated patches? I want, for example, that specific alternated path, which alternate between samples A and B will start at the certain point ALWAYS from A (even if it ends as A before). It is very important if, for example, I have alternated bow up-bow down, and I want in some place bow down twice, and not alternated!