Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Finale 2009 and general Vienna techniques, needfull things but usefull/Finale KS vs VE KS

Hi,

I loaded on a Mac (Leopard) the needful things of VSL.

It really also appears on Human Playback preferences.

However the KS of Finale have no effects at all on VE, no keyswitch actions at all.

I played arround in VE key switches, and all possibilities imaginable of Midi/audioFinale

Paddon me but are there besides needfull things also working KS things?

But if there is a trick to bring finale and Ve to work together in one staff, I'd be delighted to get tipps.Untill than I have only the speed option.

• Hello Juda!

Can you please describe in more detail what you did and what works or doesn't work? As far as I understood, you have the Special Edition Human Playback Preferences imported, but they do not seem to switch articulations, right? Are all instruments playing and is it only the key switches that do not work?

Anyway, here is what should be done on a Mac with Finale 2009 to work with the Human Playback Preferences for the Special Edition:
    1. Open or start a new Finale document. You don't have to open F2009+VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS, because you can import the settings to your own documents.
    2. In MIDI/Audio/Instrument Setup/Audio Units Instruments choose Vienna Enemble. The Vienna Ensemble window, where you can load your instruments, will open automatically. Also make sure that in the MIDI/Audio menu "Play Finale through Audio Units" is activated.
    3. To import the settings in your Finale score, go to MIDI/Audio/Human Playback/Human Playback Preferences and click Import. Then choose the F2009+VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS file.
    4. Open the Vienna Ensemble window, make the same channel settings as in Finale and load the matrices of the instruments from your score.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hello, I m French ! I don't find the file "F2009+VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS file." How can i do to find it ? thank you very much. (i have finale finale 2009 and the VSL special edition)

• Welcome Samuel!

You can find the Finale Human Playback Preferences at the following location:

http://vsl.co.at/en/68/141/460/1603/1290.htm

Best wishes,

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thank you Andi !

• hi Andy,

unfortunately vsl and finale don'treactso well,even by usingdump options.

because you figured out a solution of my  pitchproblem, I am wondering witch data I should use to kreate my own KS by the mf tool.

there is a reaction in thevirtual keyboard (2 notes are pressed) but maybe it is not the right oktave. further on after one switch the keyboard stuck after thefirstuse by finale, but so I can't anymore tryt o modify the sound by combining different cells.

• Hello Juda!

You don't need MIDI Dump and you don't have to setup anything with the mf tool. All you need is the imported Human Playback Preferences. They take care of the key switches. Did you import these settings yet?

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Hi Andi,

I cannot see the preferences files since I own the solo strings and not the SE. Could you send me the file separately? Also I use Jay Bacal's matrices which require two keyswitches to activate patches, is it obvious how to do this by modifying the SE preferences? Thanks,

Paul

• Hello Paul and welcome to the forum!

I have sent you the Special Edition Human Playback Preferences. You can use them as a starting point to create your own Human Playback Preferences.

Best wishes,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Andi - I'm having a similar problem with VSL and Finale 2010. VSL does not seem to recognize or respond to Finale's articulations. I imported VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS into Finale HP Prefs as prescribed. Keyswitches don't seem to be working. The articulation I hear performed is whatever VSL cell I clicked last when I had the VSL window open. Thanks, Tracy Windows Vista Finale 2010b VSL-SE

• Hello Tracy!

Did you also set the VSL-SE_HumanPlayback active or did you just import it?

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Oh yes, it's active.

• This is unusual. Can you please explain in detail what you have done so far.
    Did you load Vienna Ensemble as a VST Instrument in the VST Instruments window?
    In the Human Playback Preferences/Instrument Techniques and Effects window, is there a folder for the Vienna Instruments articulations?

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Andi - Yes to all questions. I'll start over and walk us both through the process. Sorry, but my line breaks aren't translating when I post this, so it all runs together. 1. For simplicity, I'll start by opening VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS to eliminate any possible contamination from my own templates. 2. From MIDI/Audio menu, Instrument Setup, VST Instruments, selecting VSL from the pull down menu in Ch 1-16 slot 3. clicking on the edit button (looks like a pencil) brings up the VSL main dashboard 4. click on Matrix Assign, expand Special Edition Matrix Files folder, expand 22 Trumpets folder 5. double click 14S Trumpet ensemble, it loads into the first matrix slot on the left 6. play a few notes on the VSL keyboard to confirm I've got sound, close the VSL dashboard 7. close the VSL Instruments dialog, which takes me back to the blank score 8. click on Playback Settings, HP Preferences, Instrument Techniques, expand Vienna Instruments folder 9. confirm there are 3 articulations for Brass (sustained C#0, staccato C0, legato D#0) 10. confirm Vienna Instruments - Special Edition is the 'current' preference set 11. Save and Close, OK, brings me back to the score 12. Window, Instrument List, change Grand Piano to Trumpet and assign it to midi channel 1, X to close the dialog box 13. I enter some notes in the score: 2 half notes and a whole note. I have Playback checked so I hear the trumpet as I enter. 14. click Play and all three notes are played as staccato, which is a problem since they are long notes 15. back to Playback Settings, HP preferences, Instrument Techniques, Vienna Instruments folder 16. Show Details on Brass:Sustained, I change the 'Instr.' from 'Brass' to 'Trumpet' on all 3 articulations 17. no difference in performance 18. I change the Apply Only filter from 'If device name contains: Vienna' to No filter on all 3 articulations 19. no difference in performance 20. back to the VSL Dashboard, I click on cell 4A (legato) and exit 21. performance is now legato 22. this is consistent on all VSL instruments I've used so far. That's my story. Hope you can help! Tracy

• Hi Tracy!

I guess the problem is that your Finale instruments don't know which instrument they are.

I would not use the file VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS as a starting point. It's better to make your own setup with the Setup Wizard and import the Human Playback settings. This way you can go for sure that each instrument knows what it is.

I hope this helps.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Sorry, but it doesn't help. I've used my own setups and get the same result. Is this the end of the story?

• What do you mean with own setups?

Can you please make a test? Create a new file with the setup wizard with one instrument. Lets say a violin. Add Vienna Ensemble to VST Instruments for channel 1 - 16. In VE load the Solo violin matrix. On the Human Playback Preferences page set "Vienna Instruments - Special Edition" as Current. If it's not in the list, you have to import it from the file VSL-SE_HumanPlayback.MUS first.

In your score create a few notes, some with staccato-marks and some with slurs. If you play it back now, do the switches work or not?

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Did what you suggested. Started from scratch with Setup Wizard. Created a one-staff score with Violin as the only instrument. Vienna Ensemble doesn't currently work (see separate thread) so I used VSL. Set up HP Prefs to use the prefs from your website. All notes play staccato only - no legato or sustained. I think this issue may be a problem in Finale. In experimenting with Finale's Garritan Orchestra keyswitches, I'm finding them to be non-working, too. However, with both Garritan and Vienna, if I include the keyswitch note (C0, C#0, D#0) in the actual score, I can successfully switch articulations. It should also work by adding a staccato marking or 'pizz' text expression, but it doesn't.

• Okay, through trial and error I have learned that I can get Finale articulations to trigger the appropriate VSL cells if I rename the filter in the HP Prefs from 'Vienna' to 'VSL'. I think once we figure out how to get Vienna Ensemble to load the VSL libraries, the standard HP Prefs will work. Just a hunch. So my other thread in this forum is the main issue now. Thanks!

• Right. The Human Playback Preferences are made for Vienna Ensemble and not for a single Vienna Instruments player.

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on