Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Are high end video cards needed?

I will be setting up VSL on a slave computer and sending audio/midi information through LAN.

Is VSL a hog on the video card? Can I get by with the on-board video? Can I purchase a low cost video card? I plan to only run it (the video card) on low settings like 16bit and will not need a second monitor. A pretty screen doesn't matter to me, Just as long as I can see it. 

• I don't like onboard video cards because they share the system memory.  You can get a video card for 50-100 dollars that will be more then enough for what you need.

I have a 256MB PCI Express in mine and it has no issues what so ever.  You could get a 256-512MB card that will blow mine away for the 50-100 dollars now a days (mines like 4 years old).  I personally think it will help a little with VE's graphical processes to have a card like this to help with refresh rates and video transfer rates over remote desktop etc.

Maestro2be

• there are onboard video cards with seperate memory and if video memory is 64MB or more you're fine.

i've been running VI/VE on an ATI IGP 9000 (actually dual screen VGA + DVI) for years.

for use with VE3 or VE PRO i feel no need for a seperate video card, but you wouldn't like the GUI at 16 or even 24bit resolution ... i personally prefer remote desktop (from the host) for such a setup.

for MIR you will need good openGL support which many onboard cards don't provide.

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Just a reminder: high end video cards come with their own fans, and that can be an issue in an otherwise quiet home studio.  

•  ... though meanwhile there are a lot of passive cards available (sapphire, asus, ...)

eg. radeon HD 2400, HD 4350, HD 4550, HD 3870, HD 4650, HD 4670, older, ect

christian

• I received my Mac with an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, and the noise was problematic.  I added an NVIDEA GeForce 8800 GT, and that seemed to unburden the ATI so that it quieted down. I don't remember the specifics -- it was about ten months ago. But I was amazed at how few choices I had for a video card with my Mac 8-core. (I didn't know the term "passive" at the time.) But I think all my options had a fan. I just wanted the cheapest, simplest card I could find. If any such option exists for the Mac Pro, I'd like to know. Thanks cm. 

• the amount of options for the macPro is indeed limited ... there has been a passive 1950 model, but this is considered to be outdated meanwhile.

i would assume it is only a question of the used grafic chip if OS X can support it or not (for the 2000 series it is RV630, for the 4000 series RV770)

christian

• The graffic card in my macpro was indeed obnoxiously loud.  Instead of replacing the card, I did a bit of research and found that I could replace the fan for around 20 or 30 bucks.  I did that, and the machine is now almost dead silent.  That's my recommendation.