Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Need help to build one PC to run Vienna.Please

Core 2 quad 1.8 Ghz , 4 gig Ram ,Hd 500 , bus 1066. Slave to my G5 Mac.

Can the configuration above run VE 3 ?

Please, any help will be appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Jota Resende

•  yes, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • I´m about to upgrade my setup as well. I think, the two important questions are budget and the need for PCI slots. If the budget is limited and we have to deal with a few classic cards I would consider something like the EP45 UD3 from Gigabyte, which leaves you 3 PCI slots. Which CPU gives you the most bang for the buck, I don´t know, benchmarks differ a lot. Maybe C2Q 9400 is a good choice and not too expensive. Anyway I´d stick to the newer 1333FSB and 45nm process products. If PCI is not a point and 300 Euro more not a problem, then the i7 920 seems to be the killer right now. But a P45 platform is a lot cheaper and also better tested in the audio community, especially if you might deal with DSP cards like UAD etc. Gigabyte also offers original Texas Instruments Firewire Controllers, in case we have to drive something like Powercore or RME Firewire etc., since a lot of FW goodies don´t like the VIA controllers that much). But it is not easy to to give a perfect recommendation, I´m not completely sure what works best right now myself. greetz kh

• Thanks man!

Great info!! Help me a lot!

Regards  [Y]

• IMO currently it doesn't make too much sense any more to buy P5 motherboards, even if they are a little bit cheaper ... this is going to be outdated technology within a blink of the eye ...

there are a lot of i7 mainboards out there with at least 2 PCI slots and all newer expansion cards will be PCIe

christian

• Depends on the hardware you want to use. If you don´t have to care about PCI and costs, then I would go the i7 route. If not, then the current 1366 boards will give you a headache. There is one Asrock with 3 PCI slots, but from some reviews I wouldn´t be too keen on it (Firewire connection together with PATA over VIA, tiny space around CPU, preventing the installation of bigger & silent CPU coolers, etc.) Another point, that doesn´t seem to be fully solved and tested is the compatibility with more than 4GB DDR3 RAM under 32bit OS systems, since there seem to be issues with the classic 3GB switch. At the same time, some DSP cards like the UAD may give you problems under Vista 64. There have been some reports about memory leaking in that point, not perfectly clear whose fault it is... Since I need 3 PCI slots anyway, I decided for a conventional socket 775 solution and a 9400 quad. P.S.: Is there a way to format the text here in the forum ? I see no way to leave some space between blocks, although it is written in the right way in the construction window. But as soon as I post, all sentences get connected to a long snake......

• unsnake your text going to your profile and selecting advanced editor - hth, christian

• last edited
    last edited

i agree on your points regarding the asrock ...

@kleinholgi said:

Another point, that doesn´t seem to be fully solved and tested is the compatibility with more than 4GB DDR3 RAM under 32bit OS systems, since there seem to be issues with the classic 3GB switch

for 32bit OS this issue will never be really solved ...

reason is that components on the motherboard need to have some address space - now this range is limited to 4GB on 32bit OS (leaving aside PAE = Physical Address Extension now what many programs cannot handle well) so the upmost range of 0.25 - 1 GB memory addresses has to be taken for that.

running a 64bit OS on the same machine doesn't show this limitation - for the /§GB switch the most important setting is the /USERVA=x option additionally where x = MB RAM presented to the OS - 1024 MB (for windows) - 8 ... 16 MB for security

christian

• Some years ago I wouldn´t have recommended Gigybyte as well.

But they managed to improve their quality very much, so that they are on a very nice standard now comparable to Asus and others.

So I´m not completely against Asrock, although IMO they started building boards suited for the cheap entry level.

The reviews I read about their i7 board also stated, that the overall quality was quiet nice "although" it is "only" from Asrock.

But especially for audio purposes, where people often have to deal with Firewire chipsets, silent PC issues etc., I would stick to the Asus P6 for safety reasons.

I hope to get my Q9400 next week, then I can report back regarding stability.

*thanks for the help with the editor*