Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• RAM limits on 32 bit Mac OS X

The web page where you download Vienna Ensemble says: "Note on the Mac OS X version: Currently it is possible to load up to 3 GB samples using your Vienna Instruments and ADDITIONAL 2.4 GB of samples using the new Vienna Ensemble host software. You can open several Vienna Ensembles (as stand-alone hosts) and fill each with up to 2.4 GB, limited only by the RAM size of your computer."

When it says the "new" Vienna Ensemble host software, does that mean VE3? I am using a dual quad-core Mac Pro with 10 GB of RAM, just this one computer, with no networking involved (therefore, I'm using VE2, not VE3). How can I maximize the amount of RAM available to me on this single computer (using Sibelius)? Does each *instance* of VE2 give me 2.4 GB to work with? Or do I need to switch to VE3 for that?

• Due to limitations of 32-bit software, it is currently not possible to load more than 3 GB RAM. Depending on the configuration of the system this value may even be lower. But it is possible to load additional stand-alone instances of Vienna Ensemble 2, which will allow you to load more sample data additionally. If you want to open more than one instance of VE stand alone, you have to copy the Vienna Ensemble application and name it differently. The stand alone instances are not recognised from within Sibelius. You have to open them from the applications folder.

In order to communicate from Sibelius with stand-alone VE you have to use IAC or a different virtual MIDI-port. Be aware that you cannot load the sound set if you choose IAC or a hardware MIDI-out. However, there is also a way to solve this problem. Open the sound set with the sound set editor or a text editor and change the entry PatchLoadMechanism (or Type in the Sound Set Editor) from "Fixed" to "MIDI". Save the sound set with a different name. Now Sibelius can communicate over the IAC-Port with the Stand-alone Vienna Ensemble(s) and the modified sound set takes care of the articulation changes.

Our fully 64-bit compatible Vienna Ensemle PRO will soon be available. You find details about it here:
    http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1598/1273.vsl#VE_Pro

Best,

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks again Andi for your help! This worked wonderfully after a bit of set up. Now I can finally load a full orchestra at once.

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on