Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,096 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 35 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• How to assign separate midi channels to matrices/patches?

Hi, I'm new to VSL, though been working with other orchestral libraries for years. I see that the way Vienna Instrument is designed to be worked with keyswitches and other controller data. That is cool and really handy, but I still want to work partly "the old fashion way" i.e. assigning different channels to different matrices.

I'm using Appassionata Str I and want to separate for example Perf Legato, Articulation Combi and Perf Repetitions for different midi channel inside the same VI instance. I could just load each matrice to it's own instance, but every instance seem to take a certain amount of memory even when nothing is loaded. So I will lose precious memory space by doing it that way.

Also, I read somewhere that using Vienna Ensemble would give me more effective memory space since it works as a separate process in Windows XP, thus not limited to Cubase's 1,3 gigs. Is this correct? My computer sees 3,25 gigs memory although I don't have 3 gb switch enabled.

Thanks in advance!

- Mikko

• Anybody? I don't find anything about midi channels from the manuals. Is VI really not supporting this?

- Mikko

•  welcome mikko,

you should really use VE2 for this kind of arranging things (channels can be assigned) ...

the 3GB switch does only say how much memory will go to the user space - in your case you should set /USERVA=2300 or so, since the system has 3.2 GB available in total and 1 GB should be left to windows (kernel space)

hth, christian

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996274(EXCHG.65).aspx

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thank you very much,

I didn't know that I can use VE2 for free! I will try that immediately.

I do have 4 gigs installed but XP sees only 3,25 or so. Do you think that userva=2300 value still apply to this setup?

- Mikko

•  that's the problem with 32bit windows - the computer has 4 GB RAM, but address space is limited (to 32bit addresses) and the upmost area is needed to map adresses for the expansion cards and onboard devices.

please note that 1 GB = 1024 MB and /USERVA numbers are in MB

i'd recommend to edit your boot.ini and create a second boot option (in case something goes wrong with the settings) to something like:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP32
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP32="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP32="Microsoft Windows XP 3GB" /3GB /USERVA=2300

you can now select between both options - hth, christian

• Ok, so this will give me the option to choose between normal and 3GB switched system configurations when booting up? And in case something goes wrong, I can choose the non switched system from the boot menu?

Thanks,

- Mikko

•  yep - do some calculation how many MB exactly your motherboard leaves to XP, subtract ~1030 MB for windows and use the difference for the USERVA parameter.

after rebooting you will see a DOS-like menu to select the boot option from - using the settings above you have now 30 seconds to choose, otherwise windows will boot to the default

christian

edit: if the 3GB option doesn't boot or behaves strange in another way just adjust the numbers and leave some more MB to windows