Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Would these specs work?

Would 8gb of RAM and a terabyte of ROM be good enough to do a whole orchestra? Thanks for reading.

•  welcome JSAntares,

a terabyte of ROM is a typo obviously ... you mean harddisk capacity.

8GB RAM ... depends ... which collections and operating system?

you could load almost all patches of the special edition & special edition PLUS, you could not load an excessive template from the superpackage - a reasonable full template with the super packages starts at ~ 6GB RAM usage.

be aware you should not stream from and record to the same disk simultaneously (if 1TB disk is the only drive in your system)

hth, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is what I meant, so I need to get an external hard drive and have it plugged in all the time? Well, the thing is I was going to purchase a new computer to run VSL on, and I found a good priced 8gb Ram one and a 1000gb hard disk with a 1gb graphics card (if that helps), is this computer appropriate or should I keep looking? Also, the seller gave you the choice of Windows XP 64 or Vista 64. With that Ram would it be okay to run a normal orchestra with solo violin or piano? Thanks a lot! Josh

• I would recommend getting multiple hard drives. Trying to run your whole orchestra from one drive is asking for trouble.

DG

• Ok, is it correct then that I would be able to make use of a 1TB hard drive and possibly a much smaller one, maybe only a few gigabytes, could I still run VSL?

•  ehhm ... you should be more specific regarding the collections you're intending to use - and maybe what else should run on this computer (sequencer?)

christian

• The special edition bundle, and I was going to use Sibelius 5.

• Basically, would this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Quad-Core-Intel-8GB-Q8200-Gaming-Desktop-PC-1GB-GeForce_W0QQitemZ190300041212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item190300041212&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262 be able to run an orchestra with soloists using Sibelius? Thank you very much for the help everyone.

•  the offer states: Processor Speed: 9,320 MHz - obviously such a thing does not exist .... maybe you should consider purchasing from a serious dealer ... also the computer offered looks like one with onboard grafic ... the description of the item is - to say the least - sloppy ...

christian

edit:  the more i read the useless heap of *details* the more i think this is just confidence trickster ...

• Thanks Christian, it does indeed seem strange. What specs would you recommend for serious orchestral music? Thanks.

•  I'm not really in a position to recommend specs for a computer, but I can share with you what I run, and so far (fingers crossed) things are going fine.  I have a 2.4 GHz dual quad processor with 8GB of ram and three hard drives.  My OS is  x64 Professional running on a 350 GB drive.  VI is loaded and running on a 750GB drive ( I have the symphonic Cube), and I save my files to a 500 GB drive.  I also use Cubase 4 with a Focusrite firewire interface.  I also have been using the Ensemble for the majority of my work with VI, and find it the easiest for me.  I must say that I have a rather mediocre graphics card, and have had trouble loading up more than two instances of VI, hence the ease of using the Ensemble.  I'd also concur with Christian, when he states that the system your looking at looks "sloppy".  I'm always leary of gaming computers, as many individuals work and play online with those computers, and that leaves them open to viruses and bugs that may or may not affect your DAW.  If you can, buy yourself a clean machine and dedicate it to making music.  The less hardware problems, the more time you can spend making music.  Good luck!

•  for the special edition (bundle) and sibelius an 8 GB computer with almost any core2quad should be sufficient.

what you should have are 2 drives at least (one for system, programs + for recording, second for samples, if possible maybe a third for recording ...)

what you should consider is a medium range grafic card (some ATI 2000 or 3000 series maybe) and what i would miss with such a system is a good audio card (providing ASIO drivers and support for 64bit systems)

a good computer vendor would also make sure the memory modules are of good quality and the PSU meets the energy needs of the complete system ... avery good vendor would also make sure the system is silent ...

christian

• Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll think about this a lot.