Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Cornet Best Jazz Trumpet?

Wondering what those of you who have the Cornet think of it versus the Trumpet in C for jazz playing (or any non-orchestral playing).

• last edited
    last edited

@aplanchard said:

Wondering what those of you who have the Cornet think of it versus the Trumpet in C for jazz playing (or any non-orchestral playing).

Hello.

I think the Cornet makes a very nice horn for Jazz improv. in a small jazz ensemble, or alone with Piano, Bass & Drums.  However, in the Big Band Jazz setting, the Bb trumet offers quite a bit more power and edge.  The C trumpets are ok, but it's my opinion that Bb is the way to go for big band.  Of course, you can do anything you want, and I hope you do.  The rotary valve type of trumpets have been used in small jazz groups over the yeats, and are very nice.

Dennis

• Here's a little cover I did of an old bop tune - I did it to test out the cornet when it first came out. It's all VSL cornet except for the very last note.

http://homepage.mac.com/jackweaver4/.Public/Joy%20SpringA1.mp3

In larger jazz ensembles I would suggest using a combination the entire trumpet family - even the piccolo trumpet. It helps break up the 'organ' effect.

• Using different trumpets for a big band sound is a good idea, indeed.  I tried working with the Bb only, and it just doesn't get it.  However, I guess one could play with each instantiation of a Bb Tpt. to detune, add processors, etc.   Probably a lot more work than just using different trumpets on each part.

•  Thanks for that Jack.  It answered all I need to know.  I went through a "transcribe everything Brownie" phase and remember that piece fondly. 

•  Jack that sounds great. 

I think the cornet could also be good because of its mellower sound.  Also using the different horns for different parts allows you to come together on a note without any phasing.

• Thanks, I thinks it's important to visualize Freddie Staudigl (VSL trumpet artist) with one of those knit African  jazz hats (orange & green), dark glasses and a 'soul patch' beard.