Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• The Mission (NBC) Excerpt

Testing a revised template using a few bars of Williams' The Mission Theme from NBC News.

[url=http://www.mikeverta.com/Posts/The_Mission.mp3]The Mission Excerpt[/url]

I chose this excerpt because it's both lush and naked at the same time because of extremely efficient orchestration.  There's nowhere to "hide"; the samples either work or they don't.  Mix-wise, I want to pan the brass a bit more, but I've been focused on the soundstage.

_Mike

• Soundscape is quite large and deep.  Your brass as always sounds great.   Strings sound fine.   But the woodwinds sound a hundred miles away.  Percussion also seems a bit distant.   Of course this is only my personal taste, so please don't take it too seriously. 

Cheers,

Jay

• Yep, I'm with you.

_Mike

• If you're looking for feedback, my main issue was with the strings, a bit under the level of the brass, which is great, no doubt your strength. :)

• I've never been happy with my string samples.  There's always something missing.

_Mike

• last edited
    last edited

@mverta said:

I've never been happy with my string samples.  

_Mike

Who is? 😊

•  The rapidly articulated violins at the beginning are not audible in their individual notes and sound smeared, and so a clearer articulation must be used.  Perhaps more of a layered detache/fast legato using divisi? 

The rest of it sounds good. 

•  I've just been listening to more Williams recordings.   His woodwinds are unexpectedly low level and far away.   Perhaps that helps make the brass seem even more powerful.   Interesting.

--Jay

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on