Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,632 users have contributed to 42,247 threads and 254,877 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Most likely there will be multiple outputs.

Just lovely, think I'm going to cry some tears of joy soon...

Thanks!

/Thomas

• Multi outs - that would be f#$^& fantastic!!!

Really looking forward to this release. VE pro is going to pretty much change my whole setup in such a big way. 

Great news!

Thanks a million!

• For sure - SMART BUSINESS move VSL.   You are going to now get NEW adopters into your program just because of this.   Which will help us long time users (the stronger you are - the more we benefit in new and well done libraries now and in the future.)  It's all good.

Rob

• Indeed a smart move. BTW, will it be possible to purchase VEP without owning a VSL instrument? 

• Yes, don't see why not as long as you have a Vienna Key or a Syncrosoft Key to store the licence.

Tim

• Well, you only can buy Ensemble 3 when owning a VSL instrument...

• last edited
    last edited

@andreas_6739 said:

Well, you only can buy Ensemble 3 when owning a VSL instrument...

Really, I thought you could buy both VS and VE without having to own any of the libraries.

Can anyone from VSL confirm?

Cheers

Tim

• Hi,

I think so, too. But you need to be registered as a user, of course.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • I have a technical question regarding VE: 

When running several instances of VE on a mac pro (with the audio outs rewired to Logic 8), does OS X allocate each separate instance of VE to a different core? 

Thanks in advance for your answer! 

• This depends on how the operating system decides to schedule the VE threads. One instance of VE will run one thread for gui, one thread for audio processing and several threads for sampler disk streaming.

• Will it be possible to create a "duplicate channel" feature?

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

This depends on how the operating system decides to schedule the VE threads. One instance of VE will run one thread for gui, one thread for audio processing and several threads for sampler disk streaming.

Thanks for your answer! Does the OS typically schedule the threads evenly, or does it leave much to be desired? 

The reason for my question is that I have some very CPU-intensive kontakt instruments. I am considering running each instrument in a separate VE instance to try and "force" the OS to schedule each to a different CPU core. 

• last edited
    last edited

@hose said:

Will it be possible to create a "duplicate channel" feature?

This is a good point, I'll see if I can squeeze it in before the release.

• last edited
    last edited

@Leon Willett said:

Thanks for your answer! Does the OS typically schedule the threads evenly, or does it leave much to be desired? 

The reason for my question is that I have some very CPU-intensive kontakt instruments. I am considering running each instrument in a separate VE instance to try and "force" the OS to schedule each to a different CPU core. 

Most of the time, the OS is really very good at scheduling threads. As long as you (as a developer) try to keep a sane threading model in your application - you can usually trust the OS to do the proper scheduling, as long as you have thread priorities set correctly. There are of course times when thread context switching can cause performance losses, but to my experience - the OS scheduler is remarkably good and quick. I suppose you are using Kontakt in a sequencer host today, I would recommend to have the sequencer handling any threading or affinity.

When it comes to threading in audio applications, and mixers in aprticular - there are several things to consider. At one or several points the threads need to be syncronized, for submixing, bussing, sends etc, and this can create some issues if it is not done properly. I know some people, running multiple audio input objects in Logic, are having quite some issues with most of processing plugins ending up on the same mixer thread, overloading even an 8-core machine with only a few plugins.

• last edited
    last edited

@hose said:

Will it be possible to create a "duplicate channel" feature?

This is a good point, I'll see if I can squeeze it in before the release.

OHHH that would be really great! It would save us a lot of time, especially when double stops are required. chears!!

• last edited
    last edited

@Leon Willett said:

Most of the time, the OS is really very good at scheduling threads. As long as you (as a developer) try to keep a sane threading model in your application - you can usually trust the OS to do the proper scheduling, as long as you have thread priorities set correctly. There are of course times when thread context switching can cause performance losses, but to my experience - the OS scheduler is remarkably good and quick. I suppose you are using Kontakt in a sequencer host today, I would recommend to have the sequencer handling any threading or affinity.

When it comes to threading in audio applications, and mixers in aprticular - there are several things to consider. At one or several points the threads need to be syncronized, for submixing, bussing, sends etc, and this can create some issues if it is not done properly. I know some people, running multiple audio input objects in Logic, are having quite some issues with most of processing plugins ending up on the same mixer thread, overloading even an 8-core machine with only a few plugins.

Thanks again for your answer! 

As you have imagined, I'm running kontakt in Logic Pro 8. To my amazement, Logic frequently runs many Kontakt instances all on one CPU core, while other cores idle. So, I am stuck using PC servers for the moment. 

It is my hope that VE Pro will be a way to force each Kontakt instance onto a different core, but still be able to mix inside logic -- so I can get rid of my servers and run everything on my mac pro. 

Do you think my hopes are reasonable? 

• As for Logics use of cores I found this to be good info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161

/Thomas

• 2 questions.

must you run some VI instruments to make it work or could it simply be a etherernet solution for us?

do you have to pay for each computer you run it on?

• AFAIK there is no requirements to run a VI in VEPRO to make it work, and it has been hinted that you don't even need to own a VI to purchase VEPRO when it becomes available so in short the answer should be yes!

The current model for VE3 network is that each purchase gives you three licences, so you can have three slave machines connected to 1 DAW (or two if you are going to run VE3 locally).  You need a dongle for each slave computer.

Best

Tim

• Any idea when this will be available?? I really need to squash away fx teleport, and start using a 64bit network application.. Many thanks,

Damian