Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,676 users have contributed to 42,253 threads and 254,888 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Memory speed is important because it plays a key part in how low a buffer setting you can have when running multiple Virtual Instruments and FX. That is how I have understood it.

• Good point.  I saw a DAWBench performance graph comparing one new 2.66 I7 to a PAIR of last generation Xeon 2.66 chips (a 5350?), and they were comparable until you got to low latencies (64 and 128), where the I7 really blew the pair of Xeons away.

• Sorry, I don't believe that memory speed has any noticeable effect whatsoever on the size of the buffer you can get away with. In my experience even the hard drives, e.g. 10K RPM Raptors, don't make much difference. Maybe if you're running MIR this kind of thing will make a difference, but for regular sampling I'm highly skeptical.<BR><BR>

The thing is, you can't run machines that close to the breaking point when you're using them for music. You have to leave some overhead just to operate the sequencer.

• Hi Nick,

My only points about bringing the speed were indeed corollary to the discussion on the other VSL forum regarding the new Mac Pro's working for Mir, and replying to an earlier posting on this thread regarding the number of slots and the corresponding amount of RAM to be used.The numbers of slots and the amount do add up the way I mentioned and the speed of RAM differs accordingly - whether or not that relates directly to this discussion.

Yes, I certainly agree with your comments on RAM speed generally being adequate for sample playback - and the importance of high disk rotation speeds.

Best regards,

Jack

• Got it. Thanks Jack.<BR><BR>