Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,542 users have contributed to 42,306 threads and 255,098 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@ct1961 said:

Only(!) problem I have here is that if I launch Logic 1st I cant get the CM to recognise any VEs and if I launch VE 1st I get an " Audio driver returned error code 28733" message which disables the External Instrument in Logic.[:'(]again.

I think you have to lauch Logic first and if CM dose not recognize Logic, the only reason I see is because the JackOs Driver is not selected as the audio device in Logic/audio/preferences.  When you get this error message you should trie rebooting your computer, launching JackPilot, launch Logic (and select the Jackrouter driver), andl auch VE3.

My setup works nicely with 2 or 3 VE3 and 1 Kontakt3, the less connection you create in Jack's preference, the more sofware it will recognize. Work with 60 in and out and 3 VE plus Logic.

Fred

• 57 input-outputs seems to be the magic number in order to load 4 instances of VE.  58 makes the fourth one crash.  Don't you just love Stress Testing this stuff?

• Thanks for the detail Chuck, I'll trie it with this number.

Fred

• I was shooting for the magic number 64 - having all the tracks established in Logic then hiding the ones I wasn't going to use (which are few).  Adding additional instruments would then be straight forward because the majority of the setup was already completed in the template.  This really only applies to percussion and keyboards etc.  58 will be enough to accommodate and I will adjust the template accordingly -- just bugs me why we can't get the full 64.

• Also the reason why I'm trying for four instances is to spread the instrument memory requirements across 2.5 GB x 4 instances.  Also I understand this helps spread the CPU requirements across the multiple cores from a performance perspective.  This approach would have also made making new templates much easier because the underlaying foundation would have already been built.  

• 57 is not a good number.  I didn't realize that I didn't have Logic loaded.  It now appears that 48 is the magic number -- 4 instances of VE and Logic loaded.  I'm thinking I will still go with the 4 instance of VE for memory distribution reasons and instead of keeping Winds, Brass, Perc, Strings separate, I'll run them together in a matrix of 4 instance X 12 instruments.

How do they say it???  BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!!

• Hi Chuck and Fred.

Was off having some dinner. Thanks for the input guys- I did see 3 VEs one time but sadly no Logic! 

Was hoping for 64 too Chuck but if you add a plugin it looks like we may get there.

Jack Router was selected in Logic prefs Fred, and remained so after the error message. Audio was enabled but it was using 0,0 Mb. I googled the error number and it seems more common with Digidesign.

If I can get 3 standalones and a plugin configured I'll be more than happy for now. Will concentrate on the External Inst set up rather than the Software Inst assigned to Ext and see what results. Good luck..

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@Chuck Green said:

How do they say it???  BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!!

Haven't been away from it for the past 2 days!

• How's the luck going Chuck?

I managed to get 4 VEs to show up finally but only with a total of 24 VIs. Have currently 3 with 36.

One thing, sorry...,one of many things that are causing some confusion here, is, are you using stereo channels for your inputs (Auxes) in Logic and your outputs from VE. When you said you had 4 instances with 16 instruments each last night, were these stereo channels i.e. assigned to HW OUTs 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 etc or are they assigned to individual outputs. If so, how is that done?

Having only really used VE as a plugin, there has been no problem with the number of outputs up until now. So, at the moment I have the 1st VE in the CM linked to Logic ins 1-24, VE-01 to 25-48 and VE-02 to 49-72.  I created 96 virtual inputs and 24 outputs, so I've got 3 VEs each with 12 instruments outputting from HW OUTs 1/2 - 23/24. Just a shame I can't get the 4th one up but I can use a plugin instead.

Are you doing it much the same? And how about you Fred?

Colin

• Yes Colin,

I was using Aux (stereo) 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 etc....

• Hi Chuck.  Are you still on the drawing board?

I've settled for 3 x 12 instruments through Jack and a 16 instrument plugin. As I've already said, a considerable improvement on all previous setups. Only real draw back is my antique CPU.

I'll finish off the templates tomorrow and find out just how many instruments I can get going, and who knows, maybe get down to some writing again!

Let us know how you've got it set up.

Colin

• I scratched the approach Colin.  I've found that there is a significant hit on CPU with much less instruments playing.  I think for my config, a hard wire approach for now is best.

• Hi Chuck.... you did start the thread by posting some impressive results ,CPU and instrument-wise, so if it ain't broke...!

Still setting up here but will compose a short piece, well... wall of noise really, later on to see how far I can push my Commodore 64 of the Mac Pros.

BTW... how's the production of your album coming along? All the best

Colin

• I agree -- "if it ain't broke".  Progress has been slow -- spending too much time on trying to find the optimal system config.  It sure would have been much easier if Apple would have released a 64 bit operating system with their new machines.  Can't say I've ever heard of that roll-out approach in the past.  Oh well, it is what it is for now.  Have to make the best of things.  Need to get back to work composing......  Good luck on your end.  Hope you find a config that works for you.

Take care Colin........

• Cheers Chuck..