Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,476 threads and 255,916 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Attack on a note.

Dear All,

Whenever I press down a note on my keyboard, the sound comes like a second after... At first I thought this might have to do with latency (and to be honest it might do) but another thing which happens is that when I am playing something in Sibelius, some instruments always come late compared to others...

Hopefully you can figure out what I mean...

Yours,

Ben.

• Hi Ben!

If you have audio hardware with ASIO drivers, I strongly recommend using these ASIO drivers. In Sibelius you can set the drivers of your audio hardware in Play/Playback Devices/Audio Engine Options.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi there,

I do not have ASIO drivers...

I am using M-Audio MobilePre USB which uses CoreAudio...

(However at the moment I am using the Mac's built in output because M-Audio haven't released a driver update for 10.5.6)

My keyboard, however, is connected directly via midi to USB (straight from the keyboard to the port on the Mac.)

Will it work better when I can use the MobilePre? If not what can you suggest?

Thanks,

Ben.

• Which latency settings do you have set now?

Best regards,

Maya

• 24.35 ms.

with the MobilePre it goes up to 27.37 ms...

• Hi,

I now have the MobilePre working again, but there is still a delay between when I press a note to when it actually sounds in Sibelius (which is annoying in fast passages because it sometimes skips out notes).

This not only happens when I press down a note, but also when the piece is played back...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben.

• Of how much delay are we talking here? 25 ms? 1 second?
    Do you have this delay also with other virtual instruments?

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • It's less than a second, (but I'm not sure how long) Probably 25 ms.

It doesn't happen with the Sibelius Sounds :S

Ben.

• Well if its around 25 ms, then its the latency of your soundcard. If you set a lower buffer size for your sound card, you will get lower latency, but it will take more CPU power.

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hey thanks! That seemed to do the trick :)

However, I don't really understand by "it will take up more CPU power"...

Thanks,

Ben.

• This means, if you set the buffer size too low, you will get performance problems (crackling and stuttering playback).

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on