Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Notion and Encore (the "other two" high end notation programs)

Does anyone else use Notion or Encore? Those are my two favourites, in terms of being intuitive from a composer's point of view and having composer-friendly (vs. publisher-friendly) workflows and layouts.

I haven't used Notion much though, as I've been so backlogged with re-rendering legacy MIDI projects with better sounds (you might be able to guess that VSL is playing a role... :-)).

So I'm just curious if anyone else has Notion (which I own) or Encore (which a friend and co-worker owns -- he's the guy who supplied all the Bach MIDI transcriptions!). And if so, what your workflow is with Vienna Instruments in the context of these programs (if possible).

Notion is unique in having 1000 levels of resolution for most parameters and not being MIDI-centric. The downside is that MIDI compatibility for import and export has only come along slowly. I end up doing most of my work in Digital Performer and just living with its fairly good QuickScribe feature (which is probably derived from their excellent but never-ported-to-OSX Mosaic program).

There will come a time soon, though, when I am more caught up with legacy, at which point new compositions of an orchestral or choral nature will primarily be driven as notation/scores, for all the proper articulations and markups that MIDI doesn't support.

So the two sides to the challenge will be how to work with Vienna Instruments inside Notion (if it's possible), and whether there are ways to tailor a notation proghram to translate manuscript markings into specific matrix or preset assignments, keyswitches, etc.

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on