Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,762 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,922 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• 1.8 quad core?

I'm planning to get a new machine to be dedicated to running VSL SE bundle with a DAW or Sibelius. How would a 1.8 phenom quad core compare to a 3.0 dual core? does vienna know how to utilize all the cores? and ram? with special edition am I going to want the 8GB ram? Other than ram use, does 64bit make the load any easier? (is it worth the 100$ for vista ultimate?)

• sale ends tomorrow. $450. AMD 1.8 Quad core. 4GB ram, max 8. 500GB HD. Should I buy? is the 1.8 clock speed good enough for vienna se and plus and reverb? I already have a 1.6 dual core.

• Know nothing about PCs but imagine that 8GB Ram should be sufficient for putting together a sizeable orchestra with SE and SE+. You'll also get a fair number of instruments with 4GB but it all comes down to the clock speed- someone else would have to advise you on that.

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@aptmusic said:

I'm planning to get a new machine to be dedicated to running VSL SE bundle with a DAW or Sibelius. How would a 1.8 phenom quad core compare to a 3.0 dual core? does vienna know how to utilize all the cores? and ram? with special edition am I going to want the 8GB ram? Other than ram use, does 64bit make the load any easier? (is it worth the 100$ for vista ultimate?)

I'm afraid that I can't advise you on the Phenom. because I wouldn't touch AMD with a barge pole.

However with your other questions I may be able to help:

1. Sibelius will work on XP/Vista 64, only in 32bit mode, and the extra memory will help even when using a 32bit DAW.
    2. Sample playback does not really need 4 cores, as there are other things that are more important. however, if you are intending to use a convolution reverb plug, for example, then the extra cores would help a lot. The core use is governed by the host in most cases.
    3. If you decide to go with a 64bit system, you need to do your research very carefully. Some devices don't have 64bit drivers and some plugs won't work. however, if you give a complete list of what you are going to use, I may be able to guide you in some of this.

DG

•  be careful - the phenom revision B2 have an error in the so-called look-aside buffer (L2/L3 cache synchronisation) - a fix is available but costs about 10% performance

for some reason audio applications always run much smoother on intel than on AMD ... must be compiler related or a similar secret

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.