Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

•  There will be a reverb in the Vienna Suite bundle.

best

Herb

• Will it be an algorithmic one or a convolution reverb?

• Recall reading that it would be algorithmic.

Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@brandall said:

Vienna Imperial ... I can only imagine it will take a hefty machine to run

nope, it is an off-the-shelve mini PC core 2 duo 2.5 GHz 4 GB 250 GB sATA 2.5" disk running XP32 (just a little bit tweaked down for overall performance)

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

Steff,

I think the Vienna Imperial should satisfy your needs. We have 1200 samples per key, 100 velocity layers, soft pedal, sostenuto, repetition samples, lots of release samples, MIR technology convolution reverb and more. Everything built into a brand new optimized engine.

Martin

The VSL info page on Vienna Imperial mentions soft pedal and sustain pedal recordings but no mention of sostenuto (middle) pedal ?

Julian

• Sostenuto pedal does not change sound - it is only a sustain logic for pressed keys. Of course the Vienna Imperial offers this logic.

• Thanks Martin,

But when I play for example a 3 note repeated sequence (under the influence of the sostenuto pedal) this has a different sound than when exactly the same 3 notes are played repeatedly with the sustain pedal. This you would expect as in the first instance although the 3 played strings are un-damped the remainder of the strings are damped so do not create the sympathetic vibrations you would get with the sustain pedal.

But I guess trying to re-create this would ever multiply the number of required samples.

Julian

•  Any news on the status of the Vienna suite reverb and preset updates etc?

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

Thanks Martin,

But when I play for example a 3 note repeated sequence (under the influence of the sostenuto pedal) this has a different sound than when exactly the same 3 notes are played repeatedly with the sustain pedal. This you would expect as in the first instance although the 3 played strings are un-damped the remainder of the strings are damped so do not create the sympathetic vibrations you would get with the sustain pedal.

But I guess trying to re-create this would ever multiply the number of required samples.

Julian

the sostenuto pedal is like a third hand keeping pressed some keys for you, so the sound is the same as if you play that notes with your hand and keep it on the keys.

The sound doen't change if the key damper is up because of your hand or because of the sostenuto pedal.

That's why you don't need different samples.

Sergino

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

Thanks Martin,

Julian

the sostenuto pedal is like a third hand keeping pressed some keys for you, so the sound is the same as if you play that notes with your hand and keep it on the keys.

The sound doen't change if the key damper is up because of your hand or because of the sostenuto pedal.

That's why you don't need different samples.

Sergino

In my example the sound is different because (if you open the lid of the piano you can see that physically it is different!) the repeated notes in my example a simple three note sequence C, E, G are struck the sostenuto pedal is then depressed, then the notes are struck again with the sostenuto pedal remaining depressed.

The sound is of three repeating notes with a sustained tone, however the dampers remain ON across all the other strings i.e. the remainder of the piano is damped. This creates a different sound than if the Sustain (damper) pedal is pressed because in that case, although the same notes are being played, ALL strings are undamped and create sympathetic resonances colouring the sound in a different way.

That's why I was stating the difference between sustain and sostenuto samples. anyone with a piano (with Sostenuto pedal) can try it themselves!

Julian

•  I have a grandpiano with a sostenuto pedal

If I press C, E and G and than I press the sostenuto pedal and play them again,

the sound is perfectly the same as if I  keep the 3 keys pressed with my hand and play them again using the double escapement

so that's why  I think the sample would be the same

Sergino

• Well to try and prove my point try the following!

Play a middle C and hold the note, depress the sostenuto pedal, now play a few repeated forte C's. After a while now depress the sustain pedal at the same time whilst continuing to play. On my piano (Yamaha Grand) I hear a distinct difference as you would expect as the sustain pedal has a different function from the sostenuto i.e. it is universal.

Julian 

•  They are two "samples"

The first is the sample of a C1 with its own armonics = The same for key pressed or sostenuto pedal pressed= the same first sample

the second is a sample of C1 plus the resonance   of its armonics (C2, G2, C3, E3, G3 and so on). Forte pedal pressed= the second sample

2 different samples are enough..

• Any word on the MIR demos?

• last edited
    last edited

here are some download links (audio uncompressed)

MIR - Wondering Why Stereo (QuickTime 18.8 MB)

MIR - Wondering Why 5.1 (QuickTime 49.2 MB)

MIR - Zarathustra Stereo (QuickTime 25.9 MB)

MIR - Zarathustra 5.1 (QuickTime 70.3 MB)

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  •  Hi cm,

Thanks for this audio files ! However, I can't hear them in my surround system. Quicktime

gives me a stereo mix. Could it be possible to post an .ac3 (or any other 5.1 audio format) ?

• Wow - this has my focused attention.  Very impressive - especially the stereo Zara.

• Is MIR going to be suitable for more movie-like sound?

I'm thinking more scoring stage then concert hall.

Did you get to sample Todd-AO before it closed?

• Great question Abel.   Also one vote (in addition to Todd AO) - is the Fox scoring stage.

It is great to emulate some of the wonderful concert halls of the world but for MANY of us - our 'working' world are the scoring stages sound.  I am sure you guys are all over this though[:D]

Rob