Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,765 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• VE3 over network crashes when loading projects

I just started using VE3 over the network and I can't re-load projects with the VE3 server loaded on the slave machines.  I'm running Cubase 4 under Vista64 on my master and the VE3 server on XP64 on two slave machines.  They're connected via Gigabit ethernet.

Whenever I re-load the project with the VE3 servers running on the slave machines, Cubase crashes.  In fact, I got my first BSOD in a very long time the first time I tried to re-load a cue that was using the networked VE3.  It also buggered up my Fireface 800 and I spent about a 30 minutes getting the hardware working again...  I don't always get the BSOD but the VE3 servers always crap out when loading a project.

So, whenever I load a new cue, I have to go to the slaves, close out the VE3 servers, load up the project on the master DAW, re-start the VE3 servers, then re-connect every instance of VE3 in Cubase.  It works, but it's a pain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

rgames

• we'll forward this to the developers - i've been under the impression this issue has been fixed with version 3.0.3388 using the latest cubase update ... are you running the 32 or the 64 bit version of cubase? VISTA is SP1 and XP also updated?

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Hi Christian,

I'm running the most up-to-date versions of everything (Vista, XP, Cubase, VE3, etc.).  I'm running the 32-bit Cubase.

I think it's a conflict between VE3 and Kavoom (which I use to access the slave machines - it's a software KVM switch).  If I unload Kavoom, the project will load, and I can re-start Kavoom after VE3 finishes loading everything.  If I leave Kavoom running, VE3 crashes on the slave machines.  If I leave Kavoom running and try to switch to the slave while it's loading, the master computer completely locks up.

After everything is loaded it seems to works fine.  I've been using Kavoom for more than a year and never had any problems with other software.

I noticed that VE3 puts up some dialog boxes from the master that show up on top of the slave view (that shouldn't happen - Kavoom is a software KVM, so the slave view completely takes over the screen).  So the VE3 instance on the master is apparently getting some type of display priority over Kavoom.  I guess Kavoom doesn't like that and a power struggle ensues [:@]

Thanks for the help,

rgames

• good point ... one question though ... why not use the built in remote desktop client?

one important thing with RD (and possibly with Kavoom too) is to leave audio on the remote computer as well as to not map USB devices

assuming i didn't fully understand the last paragraph one thing should be the same as with RD: the remote desktop is just another window (even if set to fullscreen) on the master's desktop, so it _is_ possible to have a dialog box (or actually the window of an application) in front of the remote screen window

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Actually Kavoom completely replaces the monitor with the networked machine - it does not run in a window.  It's the same as swapping the monitor cable to the other machine except for a little input selection box in the upper corner.  I run two monitors and each one is assigned to one slave and the master, so it's very fast to switch and the Cubase project window is always the top window on the master machine (though you can't see it, of course, if you switch the display on one monitor).

That's what's weird - the VE3 dialog pops up on top of a monitor that should be showing a slave.  The only things that I've seen do that are OS dialog boxes for things like critical errors, and sometimes the taskbar gets screwed up and still shows the master taskbar when I'm on the slave.

I'll give RD a try and see if it works for me. 

Thanks,

rgames

• Just an update - even when not using any type of remote desktop or software KVM, I still have the problem fairly regularly.  I can't figure out what combination of events makes the slave machines quit loading the samples but I do get lock-ups if I try to switch machines via Kavoom while the project is loading (not every time).

Even when not running Kavoom, VE3 still disappears off the slave machine quite regularly when I load a project.

Thanks,

rgames