Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,736 users have contributed to 42,255 threads and 254,897 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 4 new post(s) and 35 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@fritzflotow_27429 said:

Well, I did understand the title.

But not the content.

It is sad to read that your home made disappointment is reason enough for you, to

tear down the purpose of the book. If you have no application for this, resell it.

You are free.

This book contains all necessary information you need to work efficiently. 

I got lot of e-mails and comments every day on the pragmatical contents of the book,

even from experienced and known readers and composers. They like it, because

it is so easy to use.

It is not blabla. it is view on mathematical backgrounds with some additional examples

and further on how to use that stuff inside your plug ins. And all with a close relation

of theory and practice.

The book explains in detail, how to build your orchestral seating.

That is that what to book promises and delivers.

But  I guess that what you are exactly looking for is covered first in Volume 2.

• last edited
    last edited

@fritzflotow_27429 said:

Well, I did understand the title.

But not the content.

You may say that I have no former education in mixing and the sience of digital audio, but I have a diploma in filmmusic, so i am quite able to understand the content. Don't try to weaken my opinion on the book. It is my opinion and there may be others, who find the book good. Let them make a testimony here. I just felt like to give mine here.

I think you won't make it better by continiously saying that I just didn't understand your book. Believe me, I understood every detail from the first reading.

• No, I never said that you are not experienced or have not a former education in mixing.

I never said or thought this!

But the purpose of the book is not that one what you expected personally, though the book

description is clear. That is why I guess that you did not get the content (the philosophy) and

the purpose of that book. It seems that you are the wrong audience or that you had

other expectations of the book when buying it. But this is not the book's fault. The book

keeps it promises without doubt. I was suprised that a lot of people started to send

us mp3 files with the pre and the post for comparation.They like the techniques and

how it is explained: Here only one comment form another forum:

This book arrived at my house today, and it appears to contain a great deal of helpful information. There is a "correct" amount of mathbut the math is then translated into instructions that we can use to tweak our reverbs, EQs, delays, and DAW tracks...double!!

Volume 2 is about "digital" composing and mixing.

And mixing means here "from the beginning of the idea" to the final mix by the use of

several libraries etc.

Maybe "the" book you was looking for?

• Mike,

Great Book!  I was totally confused when I read posts discussing three and four

instances of Altiverb, etc..  Your book cleared things up.

Thanks,

John

• Thanks John.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this for the German book already, to clean up the purpose of the book a bit more:

The book is not directed at professional or beginning musicians in a special manner.

The book may be interesting to anyone, who:

• is interested in basic room acoustics (musicians view)
    • is interested in required (plug in) parameters to put dry sounding instruments (like the VSL ones) into a virtual room (horizontal panning and depth)
    • wants to learn calculating (plug in) parameters for own room sizes, room positions of single instruments
    • wants to use the pre-calculated (plug in) values of the American seating 

To avoid misapprehension:

• Volume 1 does not cover detailed composing techniques or describes “how to compose”.
    • Volume 1 does not cover detailed mixing techniques, except the stuff which is needed for the room positioning of instruments (using EQs, levels, reverb, etc.)

Composing and Mxing is main part of Volume 2.

Best regards,

Mike

• The book samples have been extended a bit,
    to get a look on the contents about "putting instruments into a virtual room":

http://www.the-composers-approach.com/v1samples.html

• Listen to the cue "Funeral Eulogy",
    another nice audio demo based on the book methods:

http://www.the-composers-approach.com/audiodemos.php

Best Regards,
    Mike

• hmmm.... I thought this is a VSL user forum, not a permanent advertisements page...

• Hello Rainer,

as long VSL samples are being used it is rather ad for VSL.

Btw: The posts here are permitted by VSL, and the book covers only the VSL lib.

:-))