Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• DVD product cheaper than Dowload ???

Hi,

I was having a look at the different offers that are made and was surprised by the fact that I can get the DVD product of special Edition Plus for 777 euros and the three Dowloadable product (strings 310, woodwind 250 and brass 245 plus) for 805 euros !!!

Shouldn't it be the other way around ? like the cost of the DVD etc...

Also I'd like to know if I have already the SE DVD collections registered  and I add the all SE plus package (download product if cheaper) will that work ?? and make me elligible for the fanfare trumpet freebie ??

thanks for answering.

stephane

• last edited
    last edited

@groovevsl said:

I was having a look at the different offers that are made and was surprised by the fact that I can get the DVD product of special Edition Plus for 777 euros and the three Dowloadable product (strings 310, woodwind 250 and brass 245 plus) for 805 euros !!!

Hi Stephane. I guess the thinking is that by pricing SE Plus cheaper than the combined cost of the downloads, VSL are encouraging you to go for the whole package rather than just one or two of the download products.

•  Yes I understand but then why not offer a full package at the same price in several part so the dowload is reasonable ?

Also I'm suprised that in the description of the DVD product they say it's 21Go of compressed data and the three

download are around 10Go total  !!! how is that possible or did I understood something wrong ??

• basically it would be possible to offer the DVD version of the special edition (one license) as download too ... but we don't expect too much demand for downloading 31.5 GB ...

the orchestra SE sections have 4 seperate licenses and the strings section is probably larger than the download limit for certain lines ...

regarding sizes you need to deffer between 3 values:

- the uncompressed sample data size (= system requirements)

- the installed data size (getting uncompressed during playing)

- the size of all installer files (even more compressed)

whereas the first compression is always more or less 1/3 the ratio of the second depends on type of samples (eg. harps are compresssing very well, brass not)

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  •  Hi Christian,

I don't understand what you said about the licence...I have SE DVD collection registered (SE & SE L2) but I only have one licence as thoose two must remain on the same vienna key.

Do you mean that there is a way I could separate String licence, WW, Perc etc...to four licence ???

Or are you saying that the reason for the cost difference is because only the download version has four licence ?

Then I have a question : would it be possible with an extra charge to have separate licence for my previous DVD collection of SE (standard + extended) ?

thanks for answering so many questions.

regards

Stephane

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

would it be possible with an extra charge to have separate licence for my previous DVD collection of SE

we do not offer site licenses for the special edition ... in my opinion it doesn't even make too much sense to spread the SE across 2 (or more) computers .... better get 4 GB RAM (all SE samples loaded use ~ 3.8 GB ... something what never should happen in a real world arrangement)

you can however run your chamber strings on a seperate machine

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  •  I get it ;-)

one more question : would SE plus downloaded (standard + extend) work together with my DVD of SE ? 

then I'll get one licence for SE and three for SE plus ?? (Strings, WW, Brass) is that correct ?

thanks again Christian and merry Christmas.

stephane