Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Please can you explain : legato articulation not payed legato

Hello
    I use SE with Logic
    I have select the Solo Violin
    Tempo is 39
    I have a succession of short note then I have legato notes of one mesure each
    If I select the "S VI legato" the legato notes are not legato
    If I select the "S VI sustain" the legato notes are legato
    Why ?

Thanks in advance
    Best
    Cyril

•  Hi Cyril,

I think what you're experiencing is that the "legato" notes are possibly too short for a whole measure at a slow tempo like 39.

The notes from the legato programmes are not looped. 

The notes from the sustain patches are looped so will extend a whole measure whatever the tempo.

If you increase the tempo of your piece you will find the "legato" samples will become legato, though I doubt if this wil be a solution for you.

I don't know what articulations are included in the SE package so cannot really offer a work round for you except the use of sustain samples though perhaps you could try re sounding the note at some point in the bar.

Julian

• At a tempo of 39, it seems to me that a typical solo violinist might have some difficulty playing that note for its entire length in one bowstroke. On a technical level, you are asking the solo player to sustain a single downbow (or upbow) for over six seconds. Within a section, a note can be held endlessly, as each player will change his/her bow direction at different times, allowing for an endless sustain. A single solo player does not have that option. In essence, you are running up against a realistic limitation of the instrument. HTH.

• last edited
    last edited

@noldar12 said:

In essence, you are running up against a realistic limitation of the instrument.
    True, but if you listen to the SE solo violin sustains you can hear the player changing bow direction to elongate the note. This wasn't done on the legato samples, so their average length is a lot shorter.

• Thank you very much for your responses.

It will be great if VSL could loop the Legato articulation with up and down bow ?

Thanks in advance

Best
    Cyril

•  Hi, 

you can retrigger the note you want to sustain for longer, best with a sustain pedal - you will get a bow change automatically. 

We have tried to loop the Solo Strings, but the results simply didn´t meet our expectations. Triggering a boch change whenever you need it makes more sense. Of course you can also use Slot Xfade and crossfade to a sustained note right after the intervall transition!

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  •  Paul,

What a nice tip...

Sustain pedal is working very well...

I'm impressed

Do not esitate to tell us more about such a tips!

So,

-03S VI Sustain- articulation is not looped too?

Thanks a lot and best

Sinserely

• Hi Paul
    Thanks for the trick for the pedal
    Any other trick ?

You could add a "Trick" section ;o)

But I do not understand why Sustain articulation IS looped and Legato articulation IS NOT looped ?

Best
    Cyril

P.S. More I use VSL more I love it
    When a SE extension with "Fast" samples and Universal Mode ?