Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• velocity crossfading

I'm struggling to make this work at it's best in sibelius.

What is the relationship between the midi controller data range of 1-127 and the scale in the VI of 1-100?

If a patch has two velocity layers 0-88 and 89-127, at what point in that scale does the upper layer start to kick in and at what point is full velocity reached?.

I have experimented with a long sustained note with midi data (via the "add continuous control data" plugin) from 0-127. In a two velocity patch it sounds to me that you hear no difference for about the first third then you hear change over the middle third when the highest velocity is reached and you hear no further change over the last third.

What I want to know, with each patch, whether 2 velocity layers or 12 velocity layers, is what midi controller number range should I use to go from one layer to the next most effectively? Is there some sort of logical pattern that I could work it out my self?

So in a four velocity layer patch 0-55(p), 56-88(mp), 89-108(mf), 109-127(f), what number do I put in to trigger say the full mf patch is it 89 or 108 or somewhere in the middle? and what range of numbers do I put in to go between the p and mf patch? is it 0-108 or 30-99?

For the experts out there, in a four velocity patch what data would you put in sibelius to make the best and most smoothest crescendo across that range?

Would you mix C11 data with the crossfader data to get over the lumps that appear just using the cross fader?

• Hi David!

If you want to crossfade between velocities from Sibelius I recommend using CC11 for the Velocity XF and deactivate it for the expression controll.

The relationship between the MIDI Data and the VI Scale is as follows:
    MIDI 0 = VI 0
    MIDI 64 = VI 50
    MIDI 127 = VI 100

The Vel XF blends dynamics around the borders of the velocity layers.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on