Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Logic Pro 8 file won't open when using VSL SE

Hi

This problem has occured the last three times Ive used Vienna Insturments SE - other projects without Vienna Insturments dont seem to suffer form this problem.   After creating a file using roughly 15 instances of VI the Logic Pro file wont open (very occasionally it will but its extremely fickle).  I have 10GB RAM and two quad cores on a Mac Pro so i dont think this is a performance issue. 

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

• How much memory are these projects using?

DG

•  Hi

Thanks for replying.  It's using about 20-25%...  Any ideas?

• oh yeah ... 20 - 25% of what?

keep in mind there is a certain *spreading* of used memory depending on the situation you're in .... watch your activity monitor which app is using how much memory (and which kind of memory)

VI/VE works up to say 3.2 GB (physical) memory used, but you might run into a situation where memory fragmentation results in problems loading huge arrangements ... it often depends what you have done before and how clean unloaded stuff leaves your memory.

hth, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  •  hi christian

sorry i meant 25% in the system performance window.  after looking at the activity monitor whilst the project was runnning it seems its using:

logic: 600MB Real memory and 1.73 GB Virtual memory

VSL: 300MB Real memory and 1.22 GB Virtual memory

Im running about 16 instances - I would have thought with that it would be fine to run this with 10 GB RAM and 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Cores??? Should I be able to run this?  Admittedly I havent been too eager with reading the manual... :)

Thanks

• VSL in virtual memory? might be a misinterpretation ... preloading samples in virtual memory does not work by design ... on the other hand 300 MB is more or less nothing (especially on a 10 GB machine) ... so maybe there is something else in the game preventing arrangements to load in certain situations

christian

• Hi Christian. It appears that all applications on the Mac have virtual memory assigned to them when loaded but from what I can gather so far is that VSL doesn't appear to make any use of it. As for the 300MB, I just opened 16 empty instances of VI and those alone take up 250MB...Colin.

• yes and no ... ;-) by definition of apple (see their knowledgebase) virtual memory is all memory assigned - i.e. physical memory + memory in pagefile

in the screenshot belw (i made with 10.4.something) you can see a difference between real and virtual memory of about 15 - 20% which might be related to some stuff which indeed can be paged out ... or it is just by design .... the important number is the real memory

real vs. virtual memory

•  Hi

Unfortunately Im still having the same problem.  Im using the optimise function and have bounced down some tracks to save opening another instance of VSL.  I tried to open a project file last night and left it over night to see if it would open - it didnt.  I really think the project file should open even if I am using a little too much memory...and as I said I have 10GB Ram and 2 x quad cores.

Really desperately in need of help... 

Thanks

•  Hi jampig,

please send your Logic project to support@vsl.co.at, we will take a look at it. 

Thanks, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • i'm having the same problem... i can only open my project about half the time and only if I open another one first and even then it takes about 5-10 minutes or more. i have 16 instances of VSL running in this project ... this same thing happened with another project containing VSL instances and nothing else ... it's like the VSL stuff just never loads....i even reinstalled VLS SE onto another drive thinking it was my drive... help! here's my set up: Intel Mac 2*2.8 Quad-Core running OS X 10.5.4 w 10GB RAM Logic 8.2

•  useful to know its not just me then.  i still havent sorted it out yet.  i have a few things left to try which i havent managed to do yet because i had to urgently move onto other projects.  just email support directly but please post back your results!!

thanks

• I've got exactly the same problem (I have done a post in the forum this evening) iMac / Intel core 2 Duo 2,6 Ghz / 4 Go Ram / Mac OS X 10.5.6. 24 instances of VI in a project. Is a solution has been found fort this problem ? Any news ? Charlie.

• Touch wood I am no longer having this problem.  However there wasn't a particular thing that I did to solve it.  It was just a process of uninstalling and reinstalling and trying simple things like changing usb ports - unfortunately I cannot remember the exact point at which the problem stopped.  My advice to you is to contact support - they were very helpful and wil help you work though all the different potential causes.

It's interesting that this problem keeps occuring though and is obvioulsy something that VSL need to sort out.

Good luck and post back how you get on...

Cheers