Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,187 users have contributed to 42,209 threads and 254,691 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

  • Some Issues with SE Legato Patches

    Upgraded my Opus and other Horizon libraries to SE and SE Extended a few months ago and am really loving the improved interface and programming versus the EXS24 versions. I'm a little disappointed that the old problem of long sustained notes at the end of a legato phrase still exists, requiring me to give the final note a separate attack to get full sustains. Is there a better solution to this that I'm missing? I'd also like to know how to avoid the release sample triggering when a key is released after a note has run out.

    Finally, I do get a fair amount of slop between intervals in many legato patches. Is this to be expected, or is there again something I need to tweak to clean these up? Overall the performance is excellent, and I particularly love the glissandi in the solo strings. Very convincing!

    I'm running Logic 8 on a G5 Dual 2.0 under OSX.4.11. Thanks for any help!


  • last edited
    last edited

    @seanmccoy said:

    Upgraded my Opus and other Horizon libraries to SE and SE Extended a few months ago and am really loving the improved interface and programming versus the EXS24 versions. I'm a little disappointed that the old problem of long sustained notes at the end of a legato phrase still exists, requiring me to give the final note a separate attack to get full sustains. Is there a better solution to this that I'm missing? I'd also like to know how to avoid the release sample triggering when a key is released after a note has run out.

    Finally, I do get a fair amount of slop between intervals in many legato patches. Is this to be expected, or is there again something I need to tweak to clean these up? Overall the performance is excellent, and I particularly love the glissandi in the solo strings. Very convincing!

    I'm running Logic 8 on a G5 Dual 2.0 under OSX.4.11. Thanks for any help!

    1. If the note "runs out", then keyswitch to a sustain instead.
    2. Switch the release samples off, if you don't want to hear them. You can either do this globally, or use a controller to do it on the fly.
    3. What is "slop"?

    DG


  • Thanks for the reply, DG. Unless I'm mistaken, keyswitching to a sustain has to take place before the start of the final note, which negates the legato effect. Within the legato patches there are shorter and longer held notes, and I'd like to be able to stay legato right to the end of the phrase and still control the length of the final note. Regarding the release samples, I actually do like the realism they add most of the time so I'd hate to turn them off globally. I'll look into controlling them in realtime. "Slop" is when I can hear little bits of extra notes between intervals.


  • last edited
    last edited

    Hi Sean,

    You can use Cell Crossfading to blend from a Legato patch to a Sus patch after you hit the key for the final note, therefore getting the Legato sample for the transition and the Sustained sample for the ending!

    Simply load a Legato patch and then drag the according Sus patch from the browser to the empty slot underneath the Legato patch - now click on the button with the crossing arrows between the slots to activate Cell Crossfading.

    Then go to the Perform page in the VI GUI, right-click (or Control-click) the fader for Cell XF to activate MIDI-Learn and move any MIDI controller to assign it to Cell Crossfading - done, now you can blend between the Legato and the Sus patch!

    You will find more information on stacking and layering patches on our Video Tutorials page.

    Hope that helps!

    Cheers, Marnix


  • last edited
    last edited

    @seanmccoy said:

    "Slop" is when I can hear little bits of extra notes between intervals.

    Is it possible to post an example, as I'm still not quite sure what you are hearing? The only extra notes I get are the legato transitions.

    DG


  • Thanks, Marnix, I'll check out that option. I assume I should be able to set this up using the default Matrices which already include both the legato and sustain patches, correct? 


  • I believe it is the transition notes I'm referring to. We shouldn't hear them, should we? When an English Horn or trumpet player perform a legato interval, we only hear the two notes of the interval.

  • last edited
    last edited

    @seanmccoy said:

    I believe it is the transition notes I'm referring to. We shouldn't hear them, should we? When an English Horn or trumpet player perform a legato interval, we only hear the two notes of the interval.

    You will only actually hear the transition if the first note is too short and runs out, as we discussed previously.

    As far as hearing only two notes, this is not 100% correct. When a Brass player slurs across a note of the harmonic series, you always hear a slight glitch. This is what makes the legato so realistic. With a Cor Anglais you may hear key noise, or again as slight glitch between certain notes. This is what it sounds like in real life. If you are hearing something else, then as short audio file demonstrating the problem would really help me figure out what's going on.

    DG