Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• K-Bow sensor-based trigger for Violin family (more expressive, in more dimensions, than hex pic...

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2008/11/07/play-a-synth-from-your-violin/

I've been waiting for a product like this for years, after seeing many examples of home-grown solutions from some of our research partners over at CNMAT, CCRMA, and IRCAM.

There will be models for violin, viola, cello, and string bass.

I don't know whether these bows will also work on violas da gamba of various sizes.

This will probably end up allowing for much more musical expression when triggering sample libraries or virtual instruments (or even rack modules), than the typical hex pickup employed by Zeta.

Same inventor, but I guess he's working on his own now.

Oops, I'll have to figure out if this belongs in one of the other forums and how to move it there if so, as I've really only been following the Vienna Instruments forum.

The point, of course, is that this could make for an ideal interface for generating string parts in Vienna Instruments (for those of us who have some experience playing stringed instruments -- just as us wind players can take advantage of wind controllers for more expression and realism than keyboard triggering).

• What freaky timing. I spent some of today controlling my VSL string section using and audio to MIDI CC converter. Great fun. It remains to be seen how much use this bow will be to a professional player. Judging by the picture of the inventor, he wouldn't get far with the Tchaikovsky concerto....!

DG