Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,430 users have contributed to 42,299 threads and 255,074 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 59 new user(s).

• Jesus, guys, throttle back.

Why you would take another person's differing taste in music personally is beyond me.  It has nothing to do with you, in any way whatsoever.

_Mike 

• LOL What do you mean by "guys", I'm the one being attacked by this guy, he's having a complete mental break down and descending to the most childish levels of mud slinging, I'm doing fine and giggling away at his immaturity.

• "you just can't live with the fact that Hermann was second rate can you" -requiem

This is profoundly wrong, and a stupid thing to say on this Forum.  It is well known and accepted universally that Herrmann is, if not the greatest, certainly one of the greatest film composers in history.  You are revealing yourself to be very ignorant as well as arrogant.

• One other thing - if Herrmann is "second-rate" I would be thrilled to hear who in your opinion is "first-rate."

• And another thing - ANYONE WHO INSULTS HERRMANN MUST PAY! [:@]

• William, it's time for your Klonopin, please don't skip doses. :)

• yeah its just about time to hit them brakes....

• last edited
    last edited

Here is the wikipedia listing of this "second-rate" composer, starting with his score for the film generally considered the greatest movie ever made:

1940s

1950s

1960s

1970s

• yes, but Leitmotif versus non leitmotif. have you figured that one out yet?

• I'm aware of the films that Hermann scored. Just as I'm aware of the fact that his first and his last films both often fall into the top 10 films of all time category. But that doesn't change the fact that you're attempting to quantify subjective opinions. Your list of movies doesn't change the fact that to me Hermann is second rate and no amount of your blow-hard verbal regurgitations will change that fact.

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

I'm aware of the films that Hermann scored. Just as I'm aware of the fact that his first and his last films both often fall into the top 10 films of all time category. But that doesn't change the fact that you're attempting to quantify subjective opinions. Your list of movies doesn't change the fact that to me Hermann is second rate and no amount of your blow-hard verbal regurgitations will change that fact.

okay allow moi to interfere:

Mister dumb kid sir, you say that Hermann is second rate to you...but what is that statement based on?

Just your preference and random musical whim? In the grand scheme of things, your opinion holds as much validity to the world at large as a medium sized houseplant. You see, as much as you have that opinion, unless you can specify technically why hes second rate in musical terms, no one is gonna take that comment seriously , especially not here.

Everyone has opinions, but do they know why they have them?

Why should anyone have any regards for your opinions when you cannot substanciate such a bold statement  in relevant terms?

You happen to like something better then something else, yet its just based on...what exactly?  oh its catchy?

Sir dumb kid sir, i say back off here, and as much as i find the Dynamic Duo`s  comments here abusive and rude, you are clearly asking for it with those remarks.

its fine to like Pirates 3 or whatever, but dont xpetc anyone with a certain musical xperience to be impressed by that opinion, u know...?

There, becouse i had nothing better to do.

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

I'm aware of the films that Hermann scored. Just as I'm aware of the fact that his first and his last films both often fall into the top 10 films of all time category. But that doesn't change the fact that you're attempting to quantify subjective opinions. Your list of movies doesn't change the fact that to me Hermann is second rate and no amount of your blow-hard verbal regurgitations will change that fact.

okay allow moi to interfere:

Mister dumb kid sir, you say that Hermann is second rate to you...but what is that statement based on?

Just your preference and random musical whim? In the grand scheme of things, your opinion holds as much validity to the world at large as a medium sized houseplant. You see, as much as you have that opinion, unless you can specify technically why hes second rate in musical terms, no one is gonna take that comment seriously , especially not here.

Everyone has opinions, but do they know why they have them?

Why should anyone have any regards for your opinions when you cannot substanciate such a bold statement  in relevant terms?

You happen to like something better then something else, yet its just based on...what exactly?  oh its catchy?

Sir dumb kid sir, i say back off here, and as much as i find the Dynamic Duo`s  comments here abusive and rude, you are clearly asking for it with those remarks.

its fine to like Pirates 3 or whatever, but dont xpetc anyone with a certain musical xperience to be impressed by that opinion, u know...?

There, becouse i had nothing better to do.

I'm the dumb kid yet you post an insipid and vitriolic diatribe of the most puerile and immature intentions, and cannot even spell properly at the 3rd grade level? "becouse" "xpetc"  "xperience" "substanciate"  I can go on and on. Perhaps, you need to finish middle school first before you're eligible to post on a thread with grown ups in it, and before you're able to even judge Musick let alone compose it.

• William, I didn't even know that is was Herman who wrote the score for Citizen Kane. Impressive! That opening music at the gate always gives me the shivers.

• Moderators .............don't panic. We have been infiltrated by an............................ Australian. I've just worked it out. No worries.

I like to hear about tales from Hollywood so I would ask you not to carry on in this thread. Go and open another thread about Bernard Herrmann if you like - that's 2 r's and 2 n's btw.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Moderators .............don't panic. We have been infiltrated by an............................ Australian. I've just worked it out. No worries.

I like to hear about tales from Hollywood so I would ask you not to carry on in this thread. Go and open another thread about Benard Herrmann if you like - that's 2 r's and 2 n's btw.
    Herman is short for Herrmann , boy you're not very smart! lol Sometime I prefer He-man.

• Mister Reqiem Aeternam7!

yes yes. we all suck.

just dont be insipid. or puerile. thats just going too far u know?

• pzy-clone - I liked your reference to a houseplant.  Very good comparison.

"Your list of movies doesn't change the fact that to me Hermann is second rate and no amount of your blow-hard verbal regurgitations will change that fact." - requiem aeternum

This unknown personage, who reminds me of a squirming bacterium in a petri dish soon to have its culture changed, criticized someone for mispelling but missed his own.

He also left out Vertigo, which is consistently on the lists of greatest five or ten films of all time.  And features the single greatest score ever written for a film.

His opinion is not an opinion at all, because it reveals profound ignorance and lack of consideration.  A "considered opinion" is the term, and is exactly what is missing here, along with a brain.  This attack on Herrmann reminds me of the troglodyte who popped up a while ago, stating that Beethoven was boring.  This present troglodyte is obviously making a pathetic attempt at being "shocking" (as shown with his lame useage of a quotation from Samuel Johnson - a mind so vastly his superior to his own that the two should not even be conceived of as belonging to the same species).   Any lout or fool of the middle ages could have an incompetent and stupidly formed opinion, but that same lout would shut the fuck up because he was aware of the fact that he was a lout.  

But today, due to the internet, due to ideals of "democracy" and egalitarianism, every fool or ignoramus in the world can speak up, and spout out total stupidity freely.  It is the one great problem of democracy pushed to an extreme, and one that Nietzche prophecied as one of the perils facing the future of Europe and obviously, America.  He essentially warned of a take-over by ignorant idiots, and it is obvious that has already happened, at least on the internet.  It would be a relief to dispense with this stupidity, but unfortunately it cannot be done without curtailing the freedom of persons who actually have functioning brain cells and something interesting to say.

BTW - I've heard no music from this bigmouthed buffoon.  So he has zero qualifications right off the bat to say anything about Herrmann.  And if he or anyone wants my qualifications just listen to any of the pieces I did on this website. 

That is all I have to say to this personage, because I find discussion of a potentially interesting subject with a loudmouthed and ignorant idiot somewhat boring and very pointless.  It does no good to scream at a turd to stop smelling bad - it just keeps on stinking. 

•  Well ...its like my grandma said, "whats the purpose of music, if you cant dance to it", eh?

You dont even have to have musical substance yourself to have a opinion, but please...if your gonna say things like, oh..."Mahler was a hack", im sure you would look less of a fool if you could atleast explain to us why?.

Its so stupid its just comical, reminds me of those "plumber joe" types at art galleries going, "naaaaahhh that aint art."

No one else in the room will dispute that it is his opinion, but clearly everyone will understand that he is a moron.

No wait, make that a insipid and puerile moron.

• Well despite being severely bipolar, William at the least is capable of retorting with intelligent and witty mock criticisms, able to use a post kindergarten vocabulary, and able to form SOMEWHAT cohesive thought groups. That puts him considerably ahead of the other two amateurs-by-comparison in the running for champion of the Herrmann Defense Network.

In fact, dare I say a few items even caused me to laugh uncontrollably in Mr. William's wanton post. In particular I took great joy in the following line: "as shown with his lame useage of a quotation from Samuel Johnson - a mind so vastly his [sic] superior to his own that the two should not even be conceived of as belonging to the same species." Great wording there, apart from the tiny grammatical flub you incurred.

The un-eloquent retorts by the likes of "Paulr" and other sundry 12 year olds of the vein, on the other hand were not as effective. In fact, a congratulations is in order to Paulr for his disgustingly childish response. He claims to want to continue hearing the 'tales of hollywood' in the current thread, yet with his depraved and desperately childish insults he has effectively dispersed the masses so to speak, and I doubt any self respecting composer or hollywood industry insider will return to the radioactive crater that Paulr and Psyclone's imbecilic verbal defecations have created here. Nor should I say will any of the same respected gentleman probably ever patronize Mr. Paulr or Psyclone's threads as they have done an excellent job in thoroughly embarrassing themselves and staining their names permanently on this site with their deplorably immature antics. I would say the same for William, but I think there is a sort of "insider's understanding" here that the poor lad is suffering from extreme bipolar disorder and manic depression disease so we take it easy on him out of pity.