Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Which sequencer for a PC?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I looked around the site and couldn't find an answer. Which sequencer for PC is most popular with VSL users? Right now I do not use any VSL samples, but I am planning to start with the Special Edition. For a sequencer I use Reason, but I would imagine there's a PC based sequencer that is more appropriate to use with VSL than Reason. Any infomation or opinions you care to care are appreciated. Gochris

• Basically, there are two options: Cubase and Sonar. I know only Cubase. The most important part in regard to using VSL would be  how  well implemented the midi editing is.Here, Cubase does a really good job.

If you check out the stripped down versions of Cubase you can safe a lot of money.

Sonar might be better prepared for 64 bit operation. But if you use only SE you can get along with a 32 bit PC and gigabit switch.That would give you a maximum of 2,3 gb of ram usage for Vienna Ensemble (4gb ram installed).

If you want really somemore detailed information, try to contact Jay Bacal. I remember that he uses both Sonar and Cubase.

Ableton live is more geared towards loop playback.

• Thanks veetguitar_273. It looks like it's going to be Cubase for me. For my film scoring work I need a sequencer that allows for abrupt time signature changes. I checked out Cubase and liked what I saw. GoChris

• last edited
    last edited

@Gochris said:

Thanks veetguitar_273. It looks like it's going to be Cubase for me. For my film scoring work I need a sequencer that allows for abrupt time signature changes. I checked out Cubase and liked what I saw. GoChris

There are some problems with the latest Cubase. However, these are no worse than any other sequencer....! Cubase is used by many top film composers, so you will be in good company. As you have probably found out, the tempo features of Cubase are much better suited to film scoring than any other sequencer.

DG